DPS Driver Handbook in MississippiPage OverviewSUMMARY: Mississippi Driver Manuals
In Mississippi, the Department of Public Safety (DPS) has various manuals and DMV handbooks to help you become a safer driver. These include the MS driver's manual, motorcycle manual, and handbook for commercial drivers. If you're interested in learning more about the traffic and vehicle laws in MS, read the Vehicle Code.
This page includes links to all the driving manuals and DMV handbooks you need to get on the road with your MS driver's license.
The Mississippi Department of Public Safety (DPS) provides the Mississippi Driving Handbook (REV 2011) online to help you learn how to safely operate a vehicle. Topics covered in the DMV handbook include:
- Getting your MS driver's license.
- How to ensure safety in your vehicle.
- Rules of the road.
- Defensive driving.
- Traffic signals, signs, and markings.
- What to do in an emergency situation.
- Driving in different road conditions.
If you'd like a hard copy of the driving manual, you can also pick one up at your local Mississippi DPS office for $2.Don't Forget an Online Practice Test!
The MS DMV driver manual is a great place to start when preparing for the written exam. If you want to ensure passing on the first try, check out these online practice tests from our approved partner.
The Mississippi Motorcycle Operator Manual (REV 2011) will teach you how to operate a motorcycle safely and help you get ready for your written and skills tests. Here's some topics you'll find in the manual:
- Getting a motorcycle license.
- Basic motorcycle control.
- Passing, turning, following, and stopping.
- How to carry passengers and cargo.
- Mechanical problems.
- How to avoid flying objects.
- Riding safely within a group.
The Mississippi DPS offers a few sample test questions within the motorcycle drivers manual. For additional study questions, you can take an online practice test.
In the commercial drivers DMV handbook you'll find a range of information about driving with a commercial driver's license (CDL), such as:
- Driving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) safely.
- Commercial driver license (CDL) procedures.
- Disqualifications and suspensions.
- CDL endorsements.
- Testing locations.
- How to transport cargo and passengers.
- Pre-trip vehicle inspections.
To pass the CDL knowledge test, you'll need to study the MS commercial driver manual. You can also take a practice test online to help you prepare.
The DMV handbook is a highly important publication for any driver. However, it is not the only resource available.
Browse the Mississippi Vehicle Code for details about laws relating to MS traffic laws and vehicle safety (see “Title 63 – Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulations"). If you received a traffic ticket, you can use this resource to learn more about your violation.
Related ContentRecommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section