Car Insurance in Mississippi
1. FAST 2. COMPARE 3. $AVE Fill out a quote form about you and your vehicles Instantly get free quotes from top car insurance companies Choose from the lowest rate policies and save hundreds
Enter your Zip Code below to get a Free Quote. We suggest getting quotes from multiple companies to ensure you get the best rate. There is no obligation to purchase.
- Official Website of Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Providing Insurance Since 1912
- See How Much YOU Could Be Saving!
Car Insurance in Mississippi
Read below to learn more about MS laws regarding minimum required coverage, optional coverage, insurance penalties, and other auto insurance information.
Required Mississippi Car Insurance Coverage
Mississippi drivers must have liability insurance, which provides coverage for the other car and/or driver when an accident is your fault.
The following minimum coverage amounts are required:
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury.
- $50,000 per accident for bodily injury.
- $25,000 per accident for property damage.
Most drivers choose to buy a car insurance policy to meet these requirements, though Mississippi drivers can also:
- Post a bond for the minimum coverage amounts.
- Make a cash or security deposit equal to the minimum coverage amounts.
Optional Mississippi Car Insurance
Auto insurance providers in Mississippi also offer several optional coverage types:
- Collision coverage helps pay for damages to your car caused by hitting another car or other objects.
- Comprehensive coverage helps pay for damages to your car caused by non-accident-related incidents or factors, such as wildlife, theft, or severe weather.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage helps pay for your expenses if you are involved in an accident with a driver who has no insurance or too little insurance.
- Medical payment (“med pay”) coverage helps pay for medical expenses resulting from an accident.
- Rental car coverage.
- Loan/lease gap coverage.
- Roadside assistance/towing coverage.
NOTE: Finance and leasing vendors usually require you to have collision and comprehensive car insurance on a financed vehicle.
Insurance Violations in Mississippi
Mississippi has strict fines and penalties for drivers who are caught without the minimum required auto insurance coverage, or without proof of insurance.
Driving Without Car Insurance
If you are caught driving without the minimum amount of liability coverage, you will face:
- A $1,000 fine.
- A 1-year driver’s license suspension.
If you buy MS car insurance after you are cited and show your proof of insurance at your hearing or when you pay your fine:
- The fine will be reduced to $100.
- Your license will not be suspended.
If you buy car insurance AFTER your hearing or payment of your fine, you can show your proof of insurance to have your license reinstated.
Failure to Show Proof of Insurance
If you are caught driving without your insurance card, you face a citation and fines.
If you had car insurance at the time, you can get your fine and court fees waived IF you show proof that you had auto insurance at the time you received the citation.
You may be legally required to file an SR22 form in Mississippi from your insurance provider to:
- Prevent suspension or revocation of your driver’s license.
- Reinstate a suspended or revoked driver’s license.
An SR22 form, known as “proof of financial responsibility,” is required for 3 years.
An SR22 is not insurance; rather, it is a certification filed by your auto insurance company that you will maintain the minimum liability insurance for a predetermined amount of time.
Alternative Insurance for High-Risk Drivers
Car insurance companies may consider you a “high-risk driver” if your MS driving record shows several traffic violations or accidents.
If you cannot find an insurance company that will cover you, you do have an option.
The Mississippi Automobile Insurance Plan (MSAIP) helps high-risk drivers get car insurance. To qualify:
Car insurance through the MSAIP can be purchased through any licensed Mississippi car insurance company.
Policies bought through the MSAIP are likely to have much higher rates, so be sure to shop around for car insurance quotes through the standard market before using the MSAIP option.
Car Insurance Assistance
To get help with an insurance matter or to file a formal complaint, you can contact the Mississippi Insurance Department Consumer Services Division.
Requests for Help
For questions or requests for assistance, you can contact the Mississippi Insurance Department Consumer Services Division in several ways:
- By phone: (800) 562-2957.
- By fax: (601) 359-1077.
- By mail:
Mississippi Insurance Department
Consumer Services Division
P.O. Box 79
Jackson, MS 39205
- In person:
Woolfolk State Office Building, 10th Floor
501 North West Street
Jackson, MS 39201
- By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Include your mailing address and phone number with your request for help.
To make a formal complaint, you must fill out a complaint form. Forms can be submitted:
- By mail.
- By fax.
Once the complaint is received, the Consumer Services Division will contact the agency or company and notify you of the outcome in writing.
To file a complaint online, visit the Mississippi Insurance Department’s Online Consumer Complaint page. This page provides detailed instructions and will direct you to the online complaint form.
By Mail or By Fax
- Complete EITHER:
- Mail your form to:
Mississippi Insurance Department
Consumer Services Division
P.O. Box 79
Jackson, MS 39205
- Fax your form to (601) 359-1077.
Reporting Insurance Fraud
Insurance fraud can be committed by individuals and businesses. It includes:
- Making a false claim.
- Forging insurance documents.
- Selling insurance without a license.
If you suspect anyone of auto insurance fraud, you can contact either:
- The Mississippi Insurance Department Consumer Helpline:
- (800) 562-2957.
- The Insurance Integrity Enforcement Bureau, Mississippi Attorney General’s Office:
- (888) 528-5780.
The cost of fraud can be very high for insurance companies, and the associated costs result in higher consumer premiums, so it is important to report suspected fraud.
Determining Your MS Car Insurance Rate
Mississippi auto insurance rates are based on several factors, including your:
- Driving history.
- Car’s make and model.
- Credit report.
- Chosen deductibles.
- The higher your deductible, the lower your rate.
Note that any points on your driver record for traffic violations, including DUIs and DWIs, can raise your insurance rates. Check your driving record today to make sure it’s accurate.Check Your Driving Record
Mistakes on your driving record can lead to higher insurance premiums. Check your Mississippi driver history today and keep your rates low!
Mississippi Car Insurance Discounts
Many MS car insurance companies offer rate discounts to drivers.
Discounts and savings may vary by company. Rate discounts include:
- Good driver.
- Defensive driving (for drivers 55 and older).
- Good student.
- Safe vehicle.
- Multiple policies.
- Multi-car policy.
Most Mississippi auto insurance companies offer discounts for safe, accident-free driving, so maintaining a clean driving record by driving safely is the easiest way to get affordable car insurance rates.Choose a State:
Local Auto Insurance
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
Choose a County
Insurance Resource Center
- Jefferson Davis
- Pearl River
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims