Types of Special License Plates in Missouri
Missouri license plates are offered in a range of specialty designs, including personalized plates and donation-based organizational plates. Specialty license plates for military members and historic vehicles are also available.
Read below for information about types of specialty license plates in Missouri.
- Ready to apply? Visit our Applying for Specialty License Plates page for more information.
- Eligible for disability plates? See Disability Placards & Plates for complete details.
The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) allows you to personalize most license plates, including standard license plates and specialty plates.
You can have up to 6 characters on most personalized tags, but some specialty plates may have less space. Visit the MO DOR website for more information.
NOTE: If you're personalizing a standard license plate, you can check the availability of your desired plate number online.
Personalization fees are charged IN ADDITION to regular vehicle registration fees. The fees for personalization in Missouri are:
- Standard, organizational, or military plates: $15.
- Historic plates: $43.75.
You'll also pay $15 PLUS registration renewal fees to renew your personalized tag.
Learn more about personalized plate applications on our page, Applying for Specialty License Plates in Missouri.
The MO DOR offers a variety of specialty plates that allow you to show your support for various organizations and causes.
Additional fees are charged for organizational plates:
- To apply: $15.
- To renew: $15.
These are charged IN ADDITION to regular registration fees AND any donation that is required.
Charity & Group Plates
Specialty plates are issued by the MO DOR for various special causes and related charities.
For example, license plates are available for:
- Breast Cancer Awareness.
- Wildlife Conservation.
- Helping Schools.
- Knights of Columbus.
To apply for most specialty plates, you MUST:
- Make the minimum required donation to the charity or group that sponsors the plate.
- Get an authorization statement from the group to verify your donation.
See the Missouri Department of Revenue website for minimum donation or membership requirements.
The Missouri DOR offers several college license plates for those who make the minimum required donation to the college or university.
License plates are available for colleges including:
- Central Methodist University.
- Missouri State University.
- University of Missouri (multiple locations).
- Webster University.
See the MO DOR license plate list for availability and donation requirements.
You can order plates from the MO DOR that represent various branches of the military, wars and conflicts, and awards. Examples include:
- An Air Force license plate.
- The Congressional Medal of Honor tag.
- A Gulf War plate.
- A Retired Navy tag.
- The Some Gave All (Gold Star) plate for family members of service members who died in the line of duty.
You can only get a military plate that reflects your service record, and you must have proof of your eligibility, such as:
- A military ID.
- Discharge papers.
- A letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Fees for military plates in Missouri differ:
- Some plates, like the Congressional Medal of Honor plate, are free.
- Others, such as the Gulf War Veteran plate, cost $15.
Historic MO license plates are available for passenger vehicles, trucks, motorcycles, and recreational vehicles (RVs).
You can get an historical license plate from the Missouri Department of Revenue as long as your vehicle is:
- At least 25 years old.
- Owned as a collectors' item.
- Driven ONLY:
- For display or exhibition.
- No more than 100 miles for repairs.
- No more than 1,000 miles annually for general transportation.
The fee for an historic plate is $25.25 PLUS $3.50 for processing. The plates are permanent and won't need to be renewed.
NOTE: Personalization is an additional $15.
You'll find application information by visiting our page, Applying for Specialty License Plates.