Salvaged Vehicles in Missouri

Many Missouri residents refer to salvaged vehicles as "totaled" cars or trucks. But, in laymen's terms, a salvaged vehicle is simply one that an insurance company has determined will require repairs that cost more than the vehicle's current value.

Obtaining a Salvage Title for Your Vehicle

A properly assigned Certificate of Title is necessary to prove that you are the legal owner of a particular vehicle. Missouri has a simplified titling process for residents who wished to retain ownership of their salvaged vehicles.

If your vehicle is still in working condition and your auto insurance company has paid a total loss claim, you can obtain a prior salvage title by submitting the following documentation to your nearest Missouri Department of Revenue office:

Once you've submitted the necessary paperwork, you can check on the status of your application by using the online inquiry service on the DOR's website.

Avoiding Salvage Fraud

Salvage fraud is a crime that occurs when an unethical motor vehicle dealer purchases a salvaged vehicle, makes a few minor repairs, and sells the car or truck to a customer who is unaware of the vehicle's history.

To minimize the risk of salvage fraud, it's important to be cautious when buying a used motor vehicle. Remember the following tips:

  • Run a vehicle history report to find out more about the car's past.
  • Have a qualified mechanic of your own choosing inspect the vehicle.
  • Test drive the vehicle under a number of different road conditions.

For more tips on buying a used motor vehicle, please see the Missouri Attorney General's All About Autos guide.



Missouri DOR's application for an original title AND/OR registration, duplicate title, registration renewal, OR transfer of license plates.


Submit this form to the Missouri DOR if a total loss claim payment has been made on a vehicle that still qualifies for a salvage title.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through

Looking for Salvaged Vehicles in Another State?