Special Vehicles in MissouriPage Overview
Special Vehicle Registration in Missouri
If you own a vehicle other than your standard car, motorcycle, or pickup truck, the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) may require that you register and/or title it. These vehicles include all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), off-road vehicles, and snowmobiles.
This page outlines the steps you need to take to have your special vehicle properly registered and ready to take out for a spin.
You may also be interested in our other registration pages:
You've just bought a new all-terrain vehicle (ATV) and you're looking to tear up some terrain. You'll have to title and register your vehicle within 30 days of purchase, or else you'll have to pay a fine. Take the following steps:
- Submit a certificate of title (for used ATVs) or manufacturer's statement of origin (for new vehicles). Have either form properly signed over to you.
- Submit a completed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form DOR-108).
- If you have a lien on the vehicle, you must submit a notarized Notice of Lien, Lien Release, or Authorization to Add/Remove Name from Title (Form 4809).
- Pay the required fee. See "Fees" below.
NOTE: The Missouri DMV doesn't consider "off-road vehicles" (minicabs, mules, gators, etc.) as ATVs, and therefore they do not need to be titled and registered.
Once your application is processed, the MO Department of Revenue will issue you a registration decal valid for 3 years.
The fees you have to pay vary depending on where you live. A state sales tax of 4.225% is required, plus any local sales tax on the net purchase price. In addition, you'll have to pay $8.50 for the title, $10.25 for registration, and a $6 processing fee.
NOTE: If you purchased a used ATV for less than $3,000, no sales tax is due on the vehicle
Currently, the Missouri DMV doesn't require you to register your snowmobile.
If you've just purchased a trailer, you need to title and register it by following the same procedures as regular car registration. The only difference is exemption from emissions inspection and costs:
- Registration for 1 year: $7.50.
- Registration for 3 years: $22.50.
- Permanent trailer license: $52.50.
- Only 5th wheel and kingpin setups are considered for permanent trailer licenses (no ball or bumper type hitches).
The Missouri DOR may also charge you the following processing fees:
- $3.50 registration processing fee.
- $2.50 title processing fee.
If you have a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome in Missouri, you'll need to have it registered through the same process as registering a regular car. See our Registering a Car in Missouri page for instructions.
You will need to pay the following fees:
Other Topics in This Section
- Registration for 1 year: $32.25 plus a $3.50 processing fee.
- Registration for 2 years: $64.50 plus a $7 processing fee.
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Car Inspection
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸