Special Vehicles in Missouri
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
You've just bought a new ATV and you're looking to tear up some terrain. You'll have to title and register your vehicle within 30 days of purchase, or else you'll have to pay a $25 fine. Take the following steps:
- Submit a Certificate of Title or a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. Have either form properly signed over in your name.
- Submit an Application for Missouri Title and License.
- If you have a lien on the vehicle, you must submit a notarized Lien Release form.
The fees you have to pay vary depending on where you live. A 4.225% sales tax is required, plus any local sales tax on the net purchase price. In addition, you'll have to pay $8.50 for the title, $10.25 for registration and a $6 processing fee.
- Missouri DMV doesn't consider "off-road vehicles" (minicabs, mules, gators, etc.) as ATVs, and therefore they do not need to be titled and registered.
- If you purchased an ATV for less than $3,000, no sales tax is due on the vehicle
- ATVs used for "farm use" are not exempt from the sales tax.
Currently, Missouri DMV doesn't require you to register your snowmobile.
If you've just purchased a trailer, you need to title and register it by following the same procedures as regular car registration. The only difference is exemption from emissions inspection and costs:
- 1-year fee is $7.50 with a $6 processing fee.
- 3-year fee is $22.50 with a $6 processing fee.
- Fee for a permanent trailer license is $52.50 with a $6 processing fee. Only fifth wheel and kingpin setups are considered for permanent trailer licenses (no ball or bumper type hitches).
If you're looking to register your RV, visit our page on RV and Motor Home Registration.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Learn Your State’s Requirements for Snowmobile Titles and Registration
- You Built It, You Register It: Titling and Registering Custom-Built Vehicles
- Find Out How to Title and Register Your RV or Motorhome
- When Do You Need to Title and Register Your Trailer?
- ATV Title and Registration Requirements
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.