Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements in Missouri
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:Page Overview
Responsibility goes hand in hand with owning a motorcycle. You must show the state that you are financially responsible before they will issue you a registration and let you out on your motorcycle.
Ways to Establish Financial Responsibility
Financial responsibility may be established in one of these ways:
- Purchasing liability insurance.
- Placing a $60,000 bond or deposit on hold with the Department of Revenue.
- Filing a real estate bond with the Department of Revenue.
- Opting to self-insure (dealers only).
Most people choose to not tie up large quantities of cash and buy insurance.
Two-Wheeled Vehicles Defined
But before you continue on your insurance quest, find out whether or not your vehicle really needs the coverage.
Only two- or three-wheeled vehicles known as motorcycles need to be registered and insured. Vehicles that have larger engines or are fast enough for the Interstates are categorized as motorcycles. These include motor scooters, like Vespas. You must insure these.
Look at your two- or three- wheeled motorized vehicle. If the following describes your vehicle, it's likely a moped or motorized scooter (as opposed to a motor scooter, which can travel at freeway speeds), and you won't need to insure or register it:
- Automatic transmission.
- Less than three gross brake horsepower.
- Engine of less than 55 cc.
- Can’t get faster than 30 mph on level surfaces.
If you still aren’t sure, call your local Department of Revenue (DOR) office, or the main DOR office at (573) 751-4450.
The bare minimum amounts of insurance you must get are:
- $25,0000/person for bodily injury or death
- $50,000/accident for bodily injury or death
- $10,000/accident for property damage
It is not uncommon to need more than this. Many more types of coverage are available; read up on them before you start shopping.
How Coverage Affects Helmet Requirements
Everyone has to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle. This does not affect insurance premiums.
Now that you purchased insurance, you must make sure to always have proof of a current policy with you.
- An insurance card or copy. The insurers will send you a new one before the old one expires. This is what most people use.
- If you haven’t received an insurance card yet, the receipt with all your information on it will suffice.
- A Self-Insured card from the Driver and Vehicle Services Bureau (dealers only).
- If you filed a bond or certificate of deposit, a Financial Responsibility ID card from the Driver and Vehicle Services Bureau.
Also, when you register the motorcycle, the DOR will have you sign an affidavit swearing that you will maintain insurance while the motorcycle is registered.
Driving around with no proof of insurance can get you into lots of trouble. You could get:
- A supervision order, letting the state monitor you.
- Four points on your driving record.
- License suspension.
And driving with no insurance at all means:
- Automatic license suspension and fees.
- Filing a Form SR-22 for three years, if you're in an accident.
In This SectionOther Topics in This Section
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Requirements
Missouri car insurance can be difficult to understand. Learn more about Missouri auto insurance requirements and options.
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
MO financial responsibility requirements for your moped, atv, scooter or motorcycle. Protect your bike and your liability in Missouri by purchasing motorcycle insurance.
- Commercial Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
Commercial vehicle insurance requirements in MO. Protect your rig or your fleet by maintaining proper financial responsibility on your commercial vehicles in Missouri.
- Penalties For Driving Without Insurance
Learn More On Penalties For Driving Without Insurance In Your State. No Insurance Violations Vary By State. Avoid Allowing You Car Insurance Policy To Lapse.
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims