- Location: Missouri
Paperwork When Selling a Car in MissouriCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
You need to provide the buyer with the following:
- A properly assigned title. This includes an odometer reading, date of sale and your printed name and signature (notarization not required).
- A safety inspection certificate, less than 60 days old.
- An emissions inspection (if applicable), less than 60 days old.
- A notarized lien release (if applicable).
Remember to remove the license plates.
You must notify the Department of Revenue (DOR) within 30 days of your vehicle being sold. Failure to do so can result in a $200 fine.
- Missouri Department of Revenue
- Motor Vehicle Bureau
- P.O. Box 3050
- Jefferson City, Missouri 65105
You should always keep a bill of sale for your own records. If you can't obtain the state's version, you can easily download a generic copy from our Bill of Sale page.