Accident Guide in Missouri
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
For most accidents, you won't have to file an accident report. Instead, you'll just contact your insurance company. However, there are certain occasions where you will have to file an accident report with the DMV yourself. If all of the following are true, you should download a copy of a Missouri Accident Report:
- It has been less than one year since the accident (you should try to report the accident within 30 days to avoid penalties)
- The accident was in Missouri
- Someone in the accident did not have liability insurance
- If more than $500 of damage occurred or there was personal injury or death
Complete the accident report and send it to the following address:
- Missouri Driver License Bureau
- 301 West High Street--Room 470
- PO Box 200
- Jefferson City, MO 65105-0200
Accidents can be traumatizing events, but don't let the stress of it cause you to break the law. Missouri has a set procedure drivers must follow in the event of an accident.
1. Move the vehicle off the road, especially if you're on a busy highway and there's a chance that other accidents may occur.
2. Check if anyone is hurt. Help the best you can without moving the injured person. Call an ambulance.
3. Call the police.
4. If there's traffic, or if the accident occurred at night or in bad weather, try to use flares, reflectors or flashlights to warn other drivers.
5. Exchange information with all involved parties:
- Driver's license number
- Motor vehicle information (VIN, plate number)
- Insurance policy number and name of company
6. Make sure to stay on the scene until a police officer tells you it's okay to leave.
7. Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
Instant Driving Record
Check for tickets, violations, and confirm your drivers license status with a instant self-check driving record.
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.