Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Title Transfers in Minnesota

    What is a Title Transfer?

    A title verifies legal ownership of your vehicle. When it comes time to transfer ownership you will need the title to legally complete the deal, making it imperative that you house the title in a safe location.

    Some typical title transfer situations include:

    • Paying off a loan
    • Selling or buying a vehicle
    • Changing a name
    • Gifting a vehicle
    • Transferring to a family member
    • Inheriting a vehicle

    Selling a Vehicle

    Owning a vehicle history report eases the selling process. It provides verified information for the buyer and helps you establish an asking price. You can learn more at our vehicle history report page.

    When you're ready to sell, you must:

    1. Sign-off on the title as seller.
    2. Complete the date of sale on the title.
    3. Include an odometer reading on the title if the vehicle is 10 years old or older.
    4. Include a damage disclosure if the vehicle is 6 years old or newer.
    5. Complete an online report of sale.
    6. The plates stay with the vehicle.

    Buying a Vehicle

    New Cars

    The dealer will manage and submit the titling papers.

    Used Cars

    1. Complete the application for title section on the title, making sure to include your name, date of birth, and address. Hold off on adding your signature until asked to sign at the DVS office.
    2. Bring the completed title, proof of insurance, and lien release (if applicable) to your local Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) office .
    3. Pay all applicable fees.

    Removing a Lien

    After paying off your loan, you must do the following to clear the lien from your title:

    1. Receive a Lien Notification card or a notarized Notification of Lien Release (Form PS2017) that's signed by your lender.
    2. Submit either document along with the vehicle's title to any DVS location.
    3. Pay all applicable fees.

    Donating a Vehicle

    Donating provides an easy alternative to selling and allows you to contribute to your choice of charity or cause. Want to learn more? Visit our Car Donation page for the full scoop.

    Inheriting a Vehicle

    If you're a surviving spouse with an estate not subject to probate, follow these steps:

    1. Complete an Assignment of a Vehicle to a Surviving Spouse/Not Subject to Probate (Form PS2071).
    2. Bring it along with a copy of the death certificate and the vehicle's title to any DVS office.
    3. Pay all applicable fees.

    NOTE: Inherited vehicles are exempt from sales tax.

    In all other cases of transferring a title after the title owner has died, it's best to contact a motor vehicle office or call (651) 297-2126 for specific information on how to handle your situation.

    Making Name Corrections

    Changing a Name

    You may need to:

    1. Complete a Application to Title/Reg a Vehicle (Form PS2000).
    2. Have proof of your name change (a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
    3. Bring both documents to any DVS location.

    If you can't track down a document―marriage certificate, divorce decree, birth certificate, court order―needed to confirm your name change, visit our Vital Record page for information on how to obtain proof.

    Related Content

    Provide Feedback

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Title Transfers in Another State?