- Location: Minnesota
Salvaged Vehicles in MinnesotaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Vehicles in Minnesota are considered salvaged when they are declared "repairable total loss" by an insurance company, were worth at least $5,000 before the damage or are less than six years old, or have a weight rating of more than 26,000 pounds.
Minnesota and other vehicle buyers should beware of hurricane-damaged or otherwise flooded vehicles that may not necessarily be classified as salvaged on the title. Other information on buying and selling vehicles is available on our buying and selling pages.
Insurance companies are required to notify Minnesota's Driver and Vehicles Services (DVS) within two days of receipt of a totaled vehicle, and to turn in the following:
- Title or photocopy of title
- Application for title in the insurance company's name
Insurance companies may also apply to clear a Minnesota salvage title if the vehicle was transferred to the company after being stolen, and then recovered with minimal damage.
Otherwise, in the case of totaled vehicles, Minnesota registered owners are required to apply for salvage titles. If a vehicle is registered at the same time you apply for a salvage title, the title will not be issued until the salvage status is cleared. To clear salvage status, the vehicle must be repaired and pass inspection first.
How to Apply for Clear Salvage Status
To apply for clear salvage status, submit the following items to a Minnesota DVS location:
- Current Minnesota salvage title if one was issued
- Original receipts for all major replacement parts
- Passed salvage inspection report
- Payment for $30 Inspection fee and an $8.50 filing fee
When the requirements to clear a salvage title in Minnesota have been met, the vehicle may be subject to branding, and may be branded "prior salvage." If it is branded, each subsequent title issued for that vehicle will also be branded "prior salvage." If a vehicle is not subject to branding, a clear Minnesota title will be issued.
- Driver and Vehicle Services
- 445 Minnesota St.
Other Topics in This Section
- St. Paul, Minnesota, 55101-5175
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks