Safety Laws in Minnesota
Helmets must be worn by riders under 18 years old and by instructional permit holders.
Helmets are not required, regardless of age.
Headlights must be used:
- Between sunset and sunrise
- When visibility dims to 500 feet or less
- When windshield wipers are used in rain, snow, hail, sleet or fog
Daytime use is required by law.
Cell phone restrictions:
- Learner permit holders are banned from all cell phone usage.
- Provisional license and permit holders are banned from all cell phone usage.
- All drivers, regardless of age or license status, are banned from texting while behind the wheel.
- Children must be at least eight years old or be at least four feet, nine inches tall in order to just use a seat belt when riding in a car. Otherwise, they must use a federally-approved safety or booster seat.
- Infants under one and weighing less than 20 pounds must ride in a rear-facing car seat
If you're in the market for one, you can shop for a car seat online at any time. When ordering, be sure the car seat matches your child's height, weight and age.
Visit Minnesota's Child Passenger Safety Program for more information, and links to certified specialists who can ensure proper installation of your child safety seat. The state recommends ― although it's not the law ― that children use a safety seat until they are at least four feet, nine inches tall, even if they're eight years old.
Dial 911. Provide the vehicle's license plate number, make, model, location and travel direction.
Dial 911 if you suspect an unattended child left in a vehicle is in danger from excessive heat or cold. Remain with the vehicle, if possible, until authorities arrive.
Call the local police department or animal control unit if you feel an unattended pet inside a vehicle is at risk.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.