Replacing a Lost CDL in Minnesota
Generally, you must replace your lost commercial driver's license in person with Minnesota's Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS); however, if you're currently out of state you MIGHT be able to apply for a replacement CDL by mail (depending on your specific situation).For identity theft protection, the DVS recommends filing a police report and requesting a flag on your driving record (see below). Remember, you can't legally operate a commercial truck or other commercial vehicle without a valid, properly endorsed CDL with you.
Get a Duplicate CDL in MN
Replace your lost CDL in person with Minnesota's Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS).
Before you visit your local DVS office, make sure you're ready to:
- Complete any application(s) required to replace a lost CDL.
- Provide the required documents. These can include:
- Proof of identification.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence.
- CDL-specific documents such as your medical certificate or endorsement(s) document(s).
- Pay the $14.75 fee.
- This is the fee for a duplicate CDL; however, you MIGHT be required to pay additional fees based on endorsements.
Out-of-State Commercial Drivers
Contact the main Driver Services office at (651) 297-3298 for instructions on how to apply for a replacement CDL if you're currently out of state.
Flag Your Driving Record
The MN DVS recommends taking the following actions when you lose your CDL (or believe it's been stolen):
- File a police report.
- Consider filing a report with both local and state law enforcement.
- Request that the DVS place a flag on your driving record.
- This flag alerts police officers that someone else could be using your stolen or lost CDL to assume your identity.
- Request this flag with the Law Enforcement Alert for Victims of Identity Theft (Form PS31300-10).