- Location: Minnesota
Paperwork When Selling a Car in MinnesotaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
When selling you must:
- Provide the buyer with the vehicle's signed-over title.
- Lien release information, if applicable.
- A bill of sale is ONLY needed if you cannot provide proof of ownership and Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) has no records on file of the vehicle's ownership history.
No notification required. However, if you don't know the buyer, the DVS strongly recommends notifying your local DVS office, in person with the buyer, of the sale. This will legally free you from all liability.
Though a bill of sale is only required if the vehicle lacks proof of ownership, keeping an auto bill of sale for your files, regardless of the situation, is always a smart idea. You can download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard