Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Paperwork When Selling a Car in Minnesota

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Selling a Vehicle

    When selling a car you must:

    • Provide the buyer with the vehicle's signed-over title.
    • Lien release information, if applicable.
    • A bill of sale is ONLY needed if you cannot provide proof of ownership and Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) has no records on file of the vehicle's ownership history.

    Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability

    No notification is required. However, if you don't know the buyer, the DVS strongly recommends notifying your local DVS office, in person with the buyer, of the sale. This will legally free you from all liability.

    Bill of Sale

    Though a bill of sale is only required if the vehicle lacks proof of ownership, keeping an auto bill of sale for your files, regardless of the situation, is always a smart idea. You can download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.

    Organ Donation Survey

    Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?

    Yes No

    Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.

    Update Your Organ
    Donor Information ▸