Dealers Handbook in Minnesota
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Minnesota's Department of Public Safety provides a Dealer Guide. This 22-page booklet tells you everything you need to know about obtaining a vehicle dealership license.
This website, maintained by Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) is a great resource for dealers, and includes a link to the dealer guide.
The typical dealer licensing fee in Minnesota is $258.50, depending on the specific nature of your business.
What the Guide Contains
Within this guide, you'll find information in the following sections:
- General Information
- Temporary Dealer License
- Changes in Business Activity
- Change in Dealer License Conditions
- Dealer License Renewal
- Conducting Business
- Record Keeping Requirements
- Salvage Vehicles
- Dealer Held for Resale
- Reporting Sales to Out-of-State Buyers
- Sales Invoices/Purchase Agreements
- Consignment Agreements
- Used Vehicle Warranties and Lemon Laws
- Motor Vehicle Forms
- Sales Tax Exemptions for Dealers
- What is a Used Vehicle?
- Types of Dealer Licenses
- Where to Call for Help
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.