Replacing a Lost Title in Michigan
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Your title is an important document, but it's easy to misplace it.
Duplicate titles cost $15, and take about seven-10 days to arrive in the mail.
Need it sooner than that? For an extra $5, you may receive the duplicate title on the same day. However, you'll need to go to a branch office that offers instant titling services and make sure you meet the requirements.
All owners listed on the title should go to the office, present proper identification, and sign the form. If that's not possible, complete an Appointment of Agent form. This allows the person named on the form to act as an agent and sign on behalf of the title holder.
Anyone needing a duplicate title might want to call the Information Center at (888) SOS-MICH before heading to the branch office, just to verify that you have everything you need for your situation.
Michigan Residents Living Outside the State
If you're a Michigan resident who is temporarily living outside the state, it's a bit more complicated to replace your title but we've broken it down for you.
- Provide proof of vehicle ownership, such as a registration card.
- Complete the title application.
- To add a security interest, indicate this on the application form.
- To remove a security interest, submit a statement showing that it has ended.
- Complete a Special Mailing form if you want the title mailed to an address different than the one listed on the application.
- Include a check or money order for $15 made out to the "State of Michigan" to cover the duplicate title fee.
Then, send everything to:
- Michigan Department of State
- Out-of-State Resident Services Unit
- 7064 Crowner Drive
- Lansing, MI 48918
Any questions? Call the department at (517) 322-1473.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.