Voter Registration in MainePage Overview
Voter Registration in Maine
Exercising the right to vote is one of the most powerful ways you can have a say in how your local, state, and federal governments are run. However, before you can participate in any election, you must first register to vote.
You’re eligible to vote in Maine if:
- You’re a U.S. citizen.
- You have a fixed residency in Maine.
- Please see the state’s Residence Fact Sheet if you’re not sure whether you’ve established a fixed residency.
- You’re 18 years old or will be by the next general election.
- If you’ll be 18 years old by the next general election, you are eligible to vote in the Primary Election if you are 17 years old.
In Maine, you can register to vote in person or by mail.
Simply complete the Maine Voter Registration Application and deliver it to:
- Your Municipal Registrar, located at your town hall or city hall.
- Your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles office.
- Most state and federal service agencies, such as social services offices.
- Any voter registration drive.
Alternatively, you can mail the form to your Municipal Registrar or the Secretary of State in Augusta at:
Office of the Secretary
148 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
If you’re a new Maine voter, you must provide EITHER:
- Your ME driver’s license or ID card number. (Photocopies are allowed if you are registering to vote by mail.)
- The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
- ONLY provide this if you don’t have a ME license or ID yet; otherwise, leave the “Voter ID” area of the form blank.
Generally, out-of-state Maine residents, such as college students, can register by mail. See “Register to Vote in Maine” above.
Maine Military and Overseas Voters
If you’re military personnel, a military dependent, or a Maine resident who currently lives overseas, you’ll register to vote using the Federal Post Card Application (Form SF-76).
Once you complete this form, you can send it by one of the following methods:
- Mail to:
Bureau of Corporations, Elections, and Commissions
101 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
- E-mail to UOCAVA.CEC@maine.gov.
- Fax to (877) 443-1302.
- You can use the fax option only if you’re still located in the United States, but will be overseas at the time of the election.
Visit the state’s Uniformed Service & Overseas (UOCAVA) Voters section to learn more about voter registration, including how to request and track absentee ballots.
There is no deadline for registering in person with your Municipal Registrar.
The deadline for voting by mail or at a voter registration drive is the close of business on the 21st day before Election Day.
You can change your name, address, and party affiliation by completing and submitting a new Maine voter registration application. See our “Register to Vote in Maine” section above to learn how to submit an application.
Related ContentRecommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section