Voter Registration in Maine
Exercising the right to vote is one of the most powerful ways you can have a say in how your local, state, and federal governments are run. However, before you can participate in any election, you must first register to vote.
Maine Voter Eligibility
You're eligible to vote in Maine if:
- You're a U.S. citizen.
- You have a fixed residency in Maine.
- Please see the state's Residence Fact Sheet if you're not sure whether you've established a fixed residency.
- You're 18 years old or will be by the next general election.
- If you'll be 18 years old by the next general election, you are eligible to vote in the Primary Election if you are 17 years old.
Register to Vote in Maine
In Maine, you can register to vote in person or by mail.
Simply complete the Maine Voter Registration Application and deliver it to:
- Your Municipal Registrar, located at your town hall or city hall.
- Your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles office.
- Most state and federal service agencies, such as social services offices.
- Any voter registration drive.
Alternatively, you can mail the form to your Municipal Registrar or the Secretary of State in Augusta at:
Office of the Secretary
148 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
If you're a new Maine voter, you must provide EITHER:
- Your ME driver's license or ID card number. (Photocopies are allowed if you are registering to vote by mail.)
- The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
- ONLY provide this if you don't have a ME license or ID yet; otherwise, leave the “Voter ID" area of the form blank.
Absentee, Military, & Overseas ME Voters
Any registered voter in Maine can cast a vote using an absentee ballot. You can request your absentee ballot from your local town or city clerk.
Maine Military & Overseas Voters
If you're military personnel, a military dependent, or a Maine resident who currently lives overseas, you'll register to vote using the Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request Federal Post Card Application Form (Form 76).
Once you complete this form, you can send it by one of the following methods:
- Mail to:
- Bureau of Corporations, Elections, and Commissions
- 101 State House Station
- Augusta, ME 04333
- E-mail to UOCAVA.CEC@maine.gov.
- Fax to (207) 287-5428.
- You can use the fax option only if you're still located in the United States, but will be overseas at the time of the election.
Visit the state's Uniformed Service & Overseas (UOCAVA) Voters section to learn more about voter registration, including how to request and track absentee ballots.
Deadline to Register to Vote in Maine
There is no deadline for registering in person with your Municipal Registrar.
The deadline for voting by mail or at a voter registration drive is the close of business on the 21st day before Election Day.
ME Voter Name or Address Change
You can change your name, address, and party affiliation by completing and submitting a new Maine voter registration application. See our Register to Vote in Maine section above to learn how to submit an application.