- Location: Maine
Special Licenses in MainePage Overview
In Maine, you need a commercial driver's license (CDL) to operate a vehicle that accommodates 15 or more passengers, including yourself―the driver. Therefore, if you want to drive most buses and shuttles, you need a CDL.
School Bus and Passenger Endorsements
To drive a school bus, you'll need a CDL plus an S endorsement for an extra $10.
To drive a vehicle with 15 or more passengers, you'll need a P endorsement (also $10).
Both require a special written exam and road tests.
Driving vehicles that accommodate fewer than 15 people, including taxis and limousines, requires only a valid driver's license. The company that hires you to drive its taxis or limousines will explain any additional requirements, including special training and regulations set forth by the city or county.
You don't need a special license to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in Maine; however, if you're operating on land other than your own private land:
- You must be at least 10 years old to operate an ATV.
- If you are under 16 years old, you must complete a training course and an adult must accompany you while you ride.
- If you are under 16 years old, you can't cross a public way under normal circumstances.
The Maine ATV Laws and Rules fully explains all ATV-related laws in Maine.
Similar to ATVs, you don't need a special license to operate a snowmobile in Maine; however, if you're operating on land other than your own private land:
- You must be at least 10 years old to operate a snowmobile.
- If you are under 14 years old, an adult must accompany you while you ride.
- If you are under 14 years old, you can't cross a public way under normal circumstances.
For more snowmobile-related laws, request a copy of the Maine Snowmobile Laws and Rules.Other Topics in This SectionArticles
- Especially for You: Information on Special Licenses
- Operating a Snow Mobile: Special Driver Licenses, Training, and Age Requirements
- What is a Special License, and Do You Need One?
- Driving All-Terrain Vehicles: Special Licenses, Training, and More for ATVs
- Special License Requirements: When and How to Apply for a Special License