Replacing a Lost Title in Maine
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
If you think you've lost your vehicle's title or salvage certificate, you can apply for a duplicate. The Maine BMV also will replace titles that are stolen, damaged, or illegible.
First, make sure your vehicle actually requires a title in Maine. Motor vehicles, trailers over 3,000 pounds, and motorcycles with engines 300 cc and over must have titles provided their model years are 1995 or newer.
Steps to Replace Your Title
Below are the five easy steps to get a duplicate title:
- Complete a duplicate title application. Maine dealers and lienholders can also complete the application.
- Make sure the application is signed, or it will not be processed.
- Complete and file a lien release form if BMV records show a lien that has since been released.
- Mail the completed forms or take them in person to a local BMV office.
- Pay a $33 fee. Checks and money orders should be made out to the Secretary of State. You can pay an extra $10 to speed processing. Do not send cash in the mail.
The mailing address is:
- Title Examination & Information Unit
- 29 State House Station
- 101 Hospital St.
- Augusta, ME
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.