Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Replacing a Lost Title in Maine

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    ME Replacing a Lost Title

    If you think you've lost your vehicle's title or salvage certificate, you can apply for a duplicate. The Maine BMV also will replace titles that are stolen, damaged, or illegible.

    First, make sure your vehicle actually requires a title in Maine. Motor vehicles, trailers over 3,000 pounds, and motorcycles with engines 300 cc and over must have titles provided their model years are 1995 or newer.

    Steps to Replace Your Title

    Below are the five easy steps to get a duplicate title:

    1. Complete a duplicate title application. Maine dealers and lienholders can also complete the application.
    2. Make sure the application is signed, or it will not be processed.
    3. Complete and file a lien release form if BMV records show a lien that has since been released.
    4. Mail the completed forms or take them in person to a local BMV office.
    5. Pay a $33 fee. Checks and money orders should be made out to the Secretary of State. You can pay an extra $10 to speed processing. Do not send cash in the mail.

    The mailing address is:

    • Title Examination & Information Unit
    • 29 State House Station
    • 101 Hospital St.
    • Augusta, ME
    • 04333-0029
    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctor's first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More Organ Donor Myths ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸