Replacing a Lost Title in Maine
If you think you've lost your vehicle's title or salvage certificate, you can apply for a duplicate. The Maine BMV also will replace titles that are stolen, damaged, or illegible.
First, make sure your vehicle actually requires a title in Maine. Motor vehicles, trailers over 3,000 pounds, and motorcycles with engines 300 cc and over must have titles provided their model years are 1995 or newer.
Steps to Replace Your Title
Below are the five easy steps to get a duplicate title:
- Complete a duplicate title application. Maine dealers and lienholders can also complete the application.
- Make sure the application is signed, or it will not be processed.
- Complete and file a lien release form if BMV records show a lien that has since been released.
- Mail the completed forms or take them in person to a local BMV office.
- Pay a $33 fee. Checks and money orders should be made out to the Secretary of State. You can pay an extra $10 to speed processing. Do not send cash in the mail.
The mailing address is:
Other Topics in This Section
- Title Examination & Information Unit
- 29 State House Station
- 101 Hospital St.
- Augusta, ME
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog Check
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸