Registration Renewal in Maine
Vehicle Registration Renewal in Maine
When your vehicle registration expires, you will need to renew it with the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
You may renew your vehicle registration in Maine online or in person.
The Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) only sends vehicle registration renewal reminders to drivers who request them. This reminder will arrive by e-mail prior to the expiration date of your Maine car registration.
To request a reminder, please use the online form on the Maine BMV website.
The Maine BMV processes vehicle registration renewals online or in person.
You may renew online up to 60 days before your car registration expires. If you need to update your address to a new town or change your name, you cannot renew online. You must re-register in person.
You are eligible to use the ME Rapid Renewal online system if:
- Your town appears in this list of participating municipalities.
- You own a registered passenger vehicle, commercial vehicle, or non-taxable trailer.
If eligible to renew your vehicle registration online in Maine, you must:
- Visit the Rapid Renewal System.
- Click the “Renew Vehicle” button.
- Select your town from the list.
- Enter your control number (as it appears on your registration.)
- Be prepared to enter your:
- Registration number.
- Registrant name.
- Registration information.
- Insurance and odometer information.
- Submit payment for your registration renewal fee (see “Maine Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees” below).
If you allow your vehicle registration to expire, you can still renew online up to 7 months after the expiration date. However, if you fail to renew within this period, you must renew in person at your local Maine DMV municipal office.
Renew in Person
To renew your ME car registration, you must first visit your local municipal office to pay your excise tax.
NOTE: Call before visiting for accepted forms of payment as each office is different. Be sure to obtain a receipt.
Next, you must visit a BMV office and bring:
- Proof of Maine car insurance.
- Your excise tax receipt.
- The white and yellow copy of your vehicle registration application.
- Payment for car registration renewal fees (see “Maine Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees” below).
If an inspection is required, you must pass before renewing. For specific details about inspections, visit our Smog & Emission Checks page.
The fees to renew your registration in Maine vary based on the vehicle type.These are the most common vehicles
- Passenger vehicle: $35.
- Custom vehicle: $35.
- Antique vehicle: $30.
- Motorcycle: $21.
- Moped: $9.
- Street rod: $30.
- Truck camper: $12.
- Duplicate ME vehicle registration fee: Please contact your local BMV office for this specific fee.
If you do not see your vehicle you can review the complete list of the Maine vehicle registration fees.
Maine Excise Tax
Each municipality charges an excise tax to help fund projects and programs within the town (it is not a state tax).
Excise tax is based on your vehicle’s original value. For specific details about excise taxes in Maine, please visit the ME revenue services website.
For excise tax questions, contact your local town office.
Acceptable Payment Methods
Maine BMV offices accept the following payment methods:
- Money orders.
- Debit or credit cards such as:
While using the online system to renew your registration, you will have a couple payment options (depending on your town):
- Credit card.
- Electronic check.
Contact your local DMV office to find out for sure.
If you’re a Maine resident stationed outside of the state, or a non-resident military member stationed in ME with Maine license plates, you may use the BMV’s Rapid Renewal system to renew your registration online.
For specific details, refer to the section above titled, “Renew Your Maine Vehicle Registration.”
If you’re a Maine resident temporarily working out of state OR a student studying outside of Maine, you can renew online using the ME Rapid Renewal system.
For instructions about the online process, read the section above titled, “Renew Your Maine Vehicle Registration.”
Although vehicle inspections are required every year, Maine does not tie the process together with car registration renewals.
For more information on Maine safety and emission inspections, visit our Smog & Emission Checks page.
NOTE: Residents of Cumberland County must also pass an emissions test.
Replace Lost, Stolen, or Mutilated ME Registration
If you lose or damage your Maine car registration certificate, you can order a duplicate online or in person.
NOTE: Your registration must be more than 7 days away from expiration to use the online service.
To order a duplicate vehicle registration card online, you must:
- Visit the BMV's online service.
- Enter your license plate number as shown on your ME registration certificate.
- Have a printer.
- Provide the last name and birth date of the first person listed on the registration OR the name of the business.
- Pay the duplicate registration fee (contact your Maine BMV office to find out what you must pay).
You should receive your duplicate car registration certificate within approximately 7 business days.
To order in person at any Maine BMV or participating town office, you must:
- Provide your license plate number.
- Submit payment for your duplicate registration fee.
- Contact your local BMV office for the specific amount.
The ME BMV will process your duplicate registration card during your visit.
NOTE: Not all town offices accept credit cards. You should contact your local BMV office before visiting.
Replace a Lost, Stolen, or Damaged ME License Plate
To replace your Maine license plate, visit any Maine BMV office with:
- A Notice of Loss of Number Plates and Request for New Plates (Form MV-9).
- Payment for your $5 per plate fee (an additional sticker costs extra).
You can also mail your completed form and fees to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Lost Plate Clerk
29 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.