Pay Traffic Ticket in MainePage Overview
(Plead Guilty or No Contest)
- Pay the fine
- Option to plea bargain penalties
- Incur demerit points on your driving record (could lead to license suspension/revocation)
- Possibly incur increase on auto insurance rates
- Option to take driver safety course to reduce points on driving record
Learn more below.
(Plead Not Guilty)
- Contest traffic ticket before judge
- Possibly hire a traffic ticket attorney for legal guidance
- Possibly lose option to plea bargain for lesser penalties
- No penalties if found not guilty, but must pay court/attorney fees
- Pay fine, court and attorney fees if found guilty
Learn more about
Fighting your Traffic Ticket »
Paying a ME traffic ticket, or what the state refers to as a non-contested violation, is an admission of guilt. Submitting payment means:
- You may have points added to your driving record. Consult our points page for additional information.
- Additional points on your driving record may cause an increase your auto insurance rates.
- Depending on the status of your driving record, added points could result in your driver's license being suspended or revoked.
If you fail to respond to your traffic citation your ME driver's license may be suspended and you'll be required to pay a late fee and a reinstatement fee.
Maine's Violations Bureau handles ticket payments. You may pay online, by phone, by mail or in person.
If you get issued a traffic violation while holding a Maine commercial drivers license (CDL), you must notify your employer. This applies even if you were cited while driving in your own car.
Pleading Not Guilty
You also have the option to challenge your citation by appearing in court and pleading not guilty before a judge (you don't the have the right to a trial by jury for a traffic violation). Presenting a good defense could prompt the judge to dismiss all charges. Read more in our section on Fighting Your Traffic Ticket.
Payment information will be detailed on your ME citation. As stated above, Maine's Violations Bureau handles traffic ticket payments.
Your have four payment options:
Pay your traffic ticket online using Visa, MasterCard or Discover. You'll also be charged a service fee to use this option. You will need your citation number.
Call (866) 729-8499 using Discover, Visa or MasterCard. You will need your citation number to proceed with the payment.
Send a check or money order made payable to US FUNDS, using the self-addressed envelope provided with your citation. If you've misplaced the envelope, mail to:
- Violations Bureau
- P.O. Box 480
- Lewiston, ME 04243
Be sure to mail the ticket several days prior to the limit of 20 days. The Violations Bureau goes by the date received rather than the postmark date.
Pay in person at the Violations Bureau's public window, open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Violations Bureau can be found at 85 Park Street, Lewiston ME.
In some instances, even if you plead guilty by submitting a payment for your ME traffic ticket, you may be allowed to enroll in a driver improvement course to have points removed from your driving record.
It's always wise to periodically check your driving record for accuracy. This bears especially true after being issued a ME traffic ticket. Make sure there are no erroneously added points, otherwise your driver's license could be suspended or revoked for too many points, and/or cause a significant jump in your car insurance premiums.
After pleading guilty by submitting your traffic ticket payment and checking your driving record, you'll next want to inquire with your auto insurance agent about any possible rate increases resulting from your citation. Should your rates jump, exceeding your current budget, take the time to shop online by comparing auto insurance rates from a variety of car insurance providers.Other Topics in This Section