Motorcycle License in MainePass Your Test with DMV Cheat Sheets
Get answers, save time and pass your motorcycle written test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets also offers:
- Steps to getting your license
- 50 essential study-guide questions
- Traffic signs and signals
Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed.
To drive a motorcycle (or motor-driven cycle) in Maine, you need to get a specific motorcycle learner's permit or motorcycle-endorsed driver's license from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). This means any Maine resident who wants to drive a motorcycle, motor scooter, moped, or motorized scooter has to pass a written and road test at the BMV to be licensed to drive the vehicle on Maine roads. Anyone driving any of these vehicles without a license or permit is subject to criminal prosecution.
Here are the steps to obtain a Maine motorcycle permit and license:
- To start, you have to be at least 16 years old and have completed an approved driver's education course for a regular driver's license. (If you're 18 years old or older, you don't need to take driver's ed.) In addition, anyone applying for a Maine motorcycle license must have completed the Maine Motorcycle Safety Education Course (MMSEC), which consists of 8 hours of instruction.
- Fill out a Motorcycle Application.
- Take a written exam to obtain a permit. Exams are given at BMV offices on a regular schedule. The permit allows you to operate a motorcycle only during daylight hours and with no passengers on board.
Road Test―or Waiver
To graduate from a permit to a license, you need to either take a Maine BMV road test with your motorcycle or complete the nationally standardized Motorcycle Rider Course: Riding and Street Skills.
To obtain a road test waiver, visit your nearest BMV office for an application. To take a motorcycle road test, send in the form that you receive when you are issued your instruction permit. The BMV will notify you by mail when your test is scheduled.
You can expect to pay the following to obtain a Maine motorcycle license:
Other Topics in This SectionCompare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
- $10 to apply for the permit and license and take the exams
- $10 for the motorcycle endorsement
1. Enter Your Zip: