DUI Attorneys in Maine
In Maine, there are serious penalties for operating under the influence (OUI)—also called a DUI or DWI—of alcohol or drugs. You may want to consider hiring a DUI attorney to help minimize penalties.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Keep reading for more details about hiring a DUI attorney in Maine.
You'll need to be proactive in your search for a DUI attorney to find the very best legal representation. The following tips could help you in the process:
- Get a recommendation. Ask friends and family if they can suggest a good DUI lawyer.
- Find the DUI expertise you need. Be sure to hire a DUI lawyer with experience in DUI/DWI cases.
- Stay local. Find a lawyer who knows the local Maine court system and law enforcement.
- Call several DUI attorneys. Search until you find the right lawyer as DUI consultations are normally free.
- Inquire about the costs. Ask the attorney how much you can expect to pay and whether a retainer is mandatory.
Charges Handled by DUI Attorneys
DUI charges in Maine are based on your age, Maine driving record, and the nature of your DUI. If you were arrested for a DUI in Maine, you were likely caught in one of the following circumstances:
- You were driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of at least 0.08%.
- You are younger than 21 years old and were caught driving with a BAC over 0.0%.
- You refused a BAC test.
- You could lose your ME driver's license for up to 6 years.
You may want to ask your DUI lawyer if he or she has represented clients in similar situations.
When you're charged with a DUI in Maine, you'll likely need some assistance. A DUI lawyer can help you in a variety of ways, including:
- Showing up in court for you.
- Determining your best plea (e.g., guilty, guilty with an explanation).
- Completing all paperwork for the court.
- Explaining what to expect in the court process.
While a DUI attorney cannot offer any guarantees to win your case, hiring one could improve your chances of less severe penalties.
Your DUI penalties will depend on your age, the circumstances of your case, and your ME driving record. Aside from a fine and court costs, you could face any or all of the following:
- A suspended ME driver's license.
- Jail time.
- Bail expenses.
- Towing costs.
- Completion of an alcohol education program.
- Loss of time at work.
Get in touch with a DUI lawyer to learn more about the penalties you're facing and how to minimize them. For more details, visit our Maine DUI & DWI page.