Driving Records in MainePage Overview
Maine Driving Records
Check for tickets, points, and confirm your drivers license status with an instant self-check driving record from backgroundchecks.com.
Each Driving Record May Include:
- Driving Status
- Vital Data
Personal Driving Record - $39.95
Driving Records for Employment
Businesses can order Maine driving records as part of their employment screening practices from DrivingRecords.com. These driving records provide a history of violations, suspensions, and other details about a person's driving history.Order Now »
Although you can order a driving record directly from the Maine BMV, one of the fastest ways to get your Driving Record for Employment Purposes is to order it online through a 3rd-party advertiser, such as DrivingRecords.com. They also offer other services such as criminal records, SSN verifications, and other employment screening services.
The Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) keeps records of all licensed drivers in the state. You can obtain a non-certified copy of your ME driving record for personal use or a certified copy for official use.
Maine driving records keep track of all tickets, violations, accident reports, and suspensions you may have.
A driving record in Maine will contain your:
- Accidents, violations, suspensions or revocations (if applicable).
- License and vehicle registration history.
Points Against Your Driver License
Tickets and violations will result in points being added to your Maine driving record. If you accumulate a specific number of points, the BMV will suspend your license.
Please visit the ME BMV website for specific details about the point system in Maine and how to keep your driving record free of convictions.
There are several types of driving records available from the ME DMV, such as:
- 3-year driving records.
- 10-year driving records.
- Electronic driving records.
- Certified driving records.
All driving records in Maine contain vehicle and driving information. However, driving records with personal information (e.g., name, address, Social Security number, etc.) can only be requested in accordance with state and federal laws protecting private information.
NOTE: The fee for each type of driving record will vary.
Maine driving records without personal information are available to the public according to the Maine Freedom of Access Law.
Driving records that contain personal information are only available to certain organizations or with written consent from the driver whose record is being requested.
The following requesters do NOT need written consent to obtain records with personal information:
- Law enforcement.
- Insurance companies.
- Vehicle manufacturers.
- Businesses and employers who need to verify information.
- Towing companies and impound yards.
- Licensed private investigators.
You can order your ME driving record online, by mail, or in person.
To obtain a Maine driving record online:
- Visit the driver records request page.
- Enter the license number OR the driver name and date of birth.
- Pay your driving record fee (see “Maine Driving Record Fees” below).
- Print the record.
NOTE: The online version of the driving record contains no personal information. If you need a driving record with personal information, you must submit your driving record request by mail.
To obtain your Maine driving record by mail, you must send a written request with:
- Your name (as it appears on your license), birth date, and current address.
- A specific note for a 3-year record or 10-year record.
- You must also state “certified” in your request, if needed.
- Any required records (and dates) you are requesting, such as:
- Accident reports.
- A fax number, if you would like to receive the driving record by fax.
- A check or money order payable to the “Secretary of State” (see “Maine Driving Record Fees” below).
Mail your request and payment to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Driver License Services Division
29 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0029
NOTE: Some records may not be available if the information was recorded electronically. Call the Violations Bureau at (207) 783-5422 to obtain a copy of the abstract with this information.
To obtain a copy of your driving record in person:
- Visit any Maine DMV office.
- Bring payment for your driving record fee (see “Maine Driving Record Fees” below).
NOTE: For further information about what you will need in your specific circumstance, please contact the ME DMV offices directly.
Fees for ordering ME driving records depend on the type of record you are requesting.
- 3-year record: $5.
- 10-year record: $10.
- Certified copy: Add $1 to the driving record fee.
- Faxing fee: Add $2 to your driving record fee.
- Copies of documents: Add $5 for copies of traffic reports, accident reports, suspension documents, etc.
Acceptable Payment Methods
- In person:
- Money orders.
- Credit cards (e.g., VISA, MasterCard).
- By mail: Check or money order made payable to “Secretary of State.”
- Online: Credit cards (e.g., VISA, MasterCard).
Correcting Your ME Driving Record Information
If you believe your Maine driving record contains an error and you would like to correct your information, call the court records office at (207) 624-9000, ext. 52100. Provide the BMV with as much information as possible, including any proof you may have of the error or its correction.Organ Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸