Driver Handbook in MainePage Overview
Continue reading this page to find links to the driving manuals and handbooks you’ll need to pass your BMV written and driving exams.
To get ready for the driver’s license process, you’ll need to study the ME Motorist Handbook and Study Guide (also offered in Spanish and audio format). Subjects include:
- Rules of the road.
- Signs, signals, and road markings.
- Communicating with other drivers.
- Sharing the road with pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Maine driver’s licensing process.
- Vehicle titling and registration.
- Car maintenance.
- Driver fatigue.
- Handling emergency situations.
If you’re going to apply for commercial driver's license (CDL) in Maine, you’ll need to prepare for the ME CDL written exam by studying the ME Commercial Drivers License Guide.
What’s in the ME Commercial Driver Handbook?
Topics covered in the Maine CDL manual include:
- Commercial driver’s licensing (CDL) process.
- Transporting passengers safely.
- Air brakes.
- Towing trailers.
- Driving tank trucks.
- Special hazmat rules.
- School bus information.
Also included in the commercial manual are practice questions you may end up seeing on your CDL written exam. For more study questions, take an online CDL practice test.
Before you get a ME motorcycle license, you’ll need to study the Maine Motorcycle Operator Manual. Topics include:
- How to obtain your motorcycle license in Maine.
- ME motorcycle skills test.
- Hand signals.
- Basic vehicle control.
- Pre-ride checklist.
- How to avoid traffic collisions.
- Carrying passengers and cargo.
- Handling dangerous surfaces.
The motorcycle manual also offers a series of practice test questions. Consider taking an online Maine motorcycle practice test for further study.
Browse the Maine Vehicle Code for specific details about the laws in Maine related to traffic tickets, vehicle registration, titling, driver’s licenses, and more.Other Topics in This Section