Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Name Change in Maine

    Maine Name Change Package - $29.95

    Miss Now Mrs's Name Change Packages automates the completion of the required forms to change your name in Maine. Simply complete a quick questionnaire, print out the forms and file them. It couldn't be easier.

    Get Started

    Continue »

    Name Change Package
    Includes Forms for:

    • Drivers License
    • Vehicle Title
    • Registration
    • IRS
    • Voter Registration
    • US Passport
    • Bank Notification
    • Credit Card Notification
    • Insurance Notification

    Make the Change in Person

    If you need to change your name on your driver's license, ID card, car registration, or title, you cannot do it online. You need to visit the nearest BMV office and make the changes in person.

    Driver Licenses and ID Cards

    If you hold a driver's license or ID card and your name changes, Maine law requires that you notify the Bureau of Motor Vehicles of the change.

    You must to go to a BMV office; it'll provide you with the necessary form. You will need to present your current license or card as well as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order that shows the name change.

    You can also present an updated Social Security card. Visit Social Security Online for information about affecting the name change.

    The cost is $5 for a license with your updated information.


    To change your name on your car registration, you can either go to your local motor vehicle office or the municipal office in the city or town where you reside.

    Most Maine municipalities issue registrations and will make a name change to your car registration. You will need to show proper ID, along with a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order that shows the name change.

    Call the BMV at (207) 624-9000 or your municipal office for more information.


    To change your name on a title, you need to bring a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order showing your name change to a BMV branch office. You also need to present the original title and identification. You will be asked to fill out the title's reverse side and sign it. The fee is $33.

    Other Topics in This Section