Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Change of Address in Maine

    SUMMARY: How to Change Your Address in Maine

    An address change on your driver’s license or ID card requires a visit to your local BMV office in person. To change your address on your vehicle registration, you can submit your request either by mail or in person. In both cases, you will need to provide proof of your new address.

    This page will help you change your address with the Maine Secretary of State's Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) and obtain updated documents.

    ME Driver’s License/ID Card Address Change

    Once you’ve moved to a new home in Maine, you’ll need to notify the Secretary of State of your new address within 30 days.

    You must visit your local Maine BMV office in person and present proof of your new address. This can include your:

    • Utility bill.
    • Paycheck stub.
    • Rental/mortgage contract.

    For a complete list of accepted documents proving your Maine residential address, visit the BMV website.

    If you’d like a replacement Maine driver’s license or identification card that has your new address, you will need to apply for a duplicate. Instructions can be found on our following pages:

    Car Registration & Title Address Change

    To change your address on your certificate of title, contact your local Maine BMV office for instructions. You will likely need to show proof of your new address and pay the duplicate title fee.

    You can change your address on your vehicle registration either by mail or in person.

    In Person

    To change your address on your registration in person, visit your local ME SOS municipal office or BMV office with:

    • Your current registration.
    • Proof of your new address, such as your:
      • Paycheck stub.
      • Utility bill.
      • Rental agreement.

    See the Maine BMV website for a complete list of accepted documents.

    You will be given a new registration document with your new address while you are at the office.

    By Mail

    To change your vehicle registration address by mail, you will need:

    • A completed change of address form, available from your local Maine BMV office.
    • A notarized letter with your new address, if you’re out of state.

    Mail the above to:

    Bureau of Motor Vehicles
    ATTN: Reg Address Change
    101 Hospital Street
    Augusta, ME 04333

    The Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) will send you an updated registration document for free.

    New Maine Residents

    If you’ve moved to Maine from another state, you’ll need to transfer your out-of-state driver’s license and vehicle registration to the BMV.

    You’ll need to visit your local Maine BMV office with various documents, including:

    • Your out-of-state driver’s license.
    • Proof of your Maine physical address.
    • Your certificate of title, if you own a vehicle.

    You will need to pass a vision exam and pay the required fees.

    For more information, visit our following pages:

    Change Your Name in Maine

    If you’ve changed your name, you’ll need to inform the Maine SOS within 30 days. This requires a visit to your local BMV office with proof of your name change and payment for any replacement documents.

    Follow the instructions on our Changing Your Name in Maine page.

    Related Content

    Other Topics in This Section

    Provide Feedback

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Change of Address in Another State?