Paperwork When Buying a Car in Maine
Get detailed VIN History Report in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start a Search:
You will need these documents to register your car after you purchase it:
- Title, signed over to you, if the vehicle is 15 years old or newer
- Insurance proof
- Registration application and excise tax receipt (from your town office)
If the seller cannot find the title, they will need to apply for a duplicate title.
A bill of sale is necessary for registering and titling your vehicle. You can, if needed, conveniently download a blank copy of this document from our Bill of Sale page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.