Boat Registration and Licenses in Maine
Renew Your California Boat Registration Today!
Official California Boat Registration & Stickers Issued.
Overnight Delivery Available.
Renew your California Boat Registration online and Cartagz will instantly issue your official California registration and stickers.
California Boat Registration Online with CarTagz
- Saves you a trip to the DMV
- Helps you avoid late fees
- Offers next business day delivery
- Does not require a renewal notice
- Same Day E-Copy of Your New Registration Card.
Approved and contracted by the state, Cartagz provides a quick and easy alternative to standing in long lines at the DMV. For $29 (plus DMV fees), you can painlessly renew your registration in just a few simple steps.Page Overview
- All motorized boats, including personal watercraft.
- Vessels currently registered in another state that properly display their decal and won't be in Maine for more than 60 consecutive days
- Vessels from another country that won't be in Maine for more than 60 consecutive days
- Ship's lifeboat.
- Vessels displaying a current boat number from a recognized racing association that are strictly used for racing.
- Vessels owned by federal, state, or local governments and used only for official purposes.
- Military or public watercraft, except recreational watercraft.
- Vessels required to have a valid marine document as a watercraft of this country.
You'll register in person at one of the various locations listed below once you:
- Complete the registration application.
- Collect the bill of sale (private seller purchases).
- Collect the dealer's certificate showing sales tax paid (dealer purchases).
- Prepare to pay the applicable fees (these vary depending upon your situation).
When registering at the Augusta office or in a town other than your own, remember to first pay your excise tax in the town where you live. Be sure you have a receipt that shows the excise tax has been paid, or your vessel cannot be registered at another location.
If your boat is exempt from tax, complete a tax exemption form and submit it with your other documents.
Where to Register
- Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
- 284 State St.
- Augusta, ME 04333
Also, many Maine municipal tax collectors and town clerks, as well as some businesses, offer boat registration services. (207) 287-8000 to locate the registration agent nearest you.
Registration fees vary depending on the size of the boat's motor:
- 0 to 10 horsepower: $16 ($26 with milfoil)
- 11 to 50 horsepower: $21 ($31 with milfoil)
- 51 to 115 horsepower: $27 ($27 with milfoil)
- More than 116 horsepower: $35 ($45 with milfoil)
Personal watercraft carry a $35 registration fee ($45 with milfoil).
NOTE: All fees may include $1agent fee . Agents may charge an additional $2 fee for new, transfer and rollover registrations.
Registrations expire on December 31 of each year.
Renew in Person
Go to one of the registration locations mentioned above. Bring your current boat registration, and pay your excise tax and renewal fee.
Renew by Mail
Mail a completed renewal application to the address listed on the form. Include your check for your renewal payment, along with proof of excise tax payment to your local tax collector's office.
Boat owners who meet certain criteria can renew online.
Replace Lost Registration
Duplicate registrations can be purchased for a $2 fee and any additional agent fee. It's helpful to have the boat registration number, if possible.
Maine doesn't issue any type of boater license.
If you're interested in furthering your boater safety education while possibly lowering your insurance rates in the process, you can sign up for a classroom-setting safety course. Approved online courses are also available.
Those who can't find a class close by should contact a regional safety coordinator, or call (207) 287-5220.Other Topics in This Section