Replacing a Lost CDL in Maryland

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Service Comparison State Motor Vehicle Agency
Online Registration
Same Day Processing
E-Copy of Registration No
Next Day Delivery No
Alternate Mailing Address Requires Address Change
Phone Support No
Convenience Fee $0 $29
Learn More Do it for me

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Apply for your replacement commercial driver's license in person or—if you're eligible—by mail with the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA). Currently, CDL holders are not eligible to use the online or kiosk replacement options.

For identity protection, report your lost CDL to local and state authorities; for legal protection, do not operate a commercial truck or any commercial vehicle until you have your replacement CDL in hand.

Apply for a Duplicate MD CDL

Commercial drivers who are currently located in state must apply for a replacement CDL in person at their local Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) office.

Visit your MVA office and be prepared to provide:

  • Proof of:
    • Identity—typically the same you provided for your initial license.
    • MD residency (2 documents) IF your address has changed.
  • Your Medical Examiner's Certificate.
    • If required, you must also provide your exemption/waiver.
  • The damaged CDL, if applicable.
  • Payment for the $20 fee.

Once you've taken another photo, you'll receive an interim license. The MVA agent will explain how you'll receive your permanent CDL.

Request an Out-of-State Replacement Packet

If you're currently out of state, the MD MVA will handle your application for a duplicate CDL by mail.

First, you must contact the MVA Absent from State Unit and request a packet of information instructing you on how to apply for the replacement CDL. You can contact the Unit by:

  • Phone: (410) 768-7442
  • E-mail:
  • Fax: (410) 787-2988

When you receive the packet, you must:

  • Complete and sign all forms.
    • The packet includes instructions.
  • Include your Medical Examiner's Certificate.
    • If required, you must also provide your exemption/waiver.
  • Include the $20 fee.

Send the completed forms, CDL documents, and fee to the address listed within the instructions.

The MVA will determine whether you're eligible for a duplicate CDL; if so, you'll receive a replacement valid for up to 5 years.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through


people in the United States need a liver transplant


people are waiting for a heart transplant.

Looking for Replacing a Lost CDL in Another State?