Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in MarylandCompare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
Maryland's Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) requires all scooter and moped owners to:
- Title their bikes and display a title decal.
- Wear a Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet.
- Carry proof of insurance.
- Carry either a valid moped permit or a valid driver's license of any class
If your engine is under 70ccs, it's illegal for you to ride the vehicle on public roads that have a posted maximum speed limit of more than 50 MPH.
Motorcycle classification means you need to follow the same procedures as regular motorcycle registration, even if the vehicle is technically considered a scooter or moped.
Keep in mind that this also means you have to show proof that you have completed the Maryland Motorcycle Safety Program before MVA issues you registration.
For more information about owning and operating a scooter or moped in Maryland, check the Motor Vehicle Administration's page.
If you're thinking about embarking on the two-wheel journey of mopeds, scooters and motorcycles, or just want some fun reading material, take a look at the following links:Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section