- Location: Maryland
Special Vehicles in MarylandCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:Page Overview
All ATVs, off-road motorcycles, and snowmobiles purchased on or after October 1, 2010 require titling. If you purchase from a dealer on or after this date, in most cases the dealership will handle the titling and issue you an off-road vehicle (ORV) decal. Otherwise, if you purchase from a private party you must title the vehicle at a title service office.
Bring with you:
- Proof of ownership. This may include the original Certificate of Origin (if purchased new) or the vehicle's title (if purchased used). If you buy a used vehicle without a title, you must present the previous owner's Certificate of Origin and a bill of sale. If you cannot produce proof of ownership, submit a completed Affidavit of Ownership Moped, Motor Scooter & Off-Road Vehicle form.
- A completed Application for Certificate of Title form.
- A competed Application for Title Decal for Motor Scooters, Mopeds, ATV’s, Off-Road Motorcycles and Snowmobiles form.
- Proof of purchase. If the vehicle was purchased from an out-of-state dealer, you'll need to provide a bill of sale. If it was purchased from a private party, show a bill of sale (only if there's no room on the title to include the purchase price) that includes the signatures of the buyer(s) and seller(s), the vehicle's make, identification number and purchase price. A notarized bill of sale will be required if any of the following conditions apply:
―The vehicle is seven years old.
―The purchase price is at least $500 below the vehicle's book value.
―You, the new owner, want to base the excise tax calculation on the purchase price rather than the book value.
- A completed Odometer Disclosure Statement.
- Lien information, if applicable.
- Lien release information, if applicable.
- Payment for excise tax, the $100.00 title fee and the $5 title decal fee.
RVs and Motor Homes follow the same titling procedures as regular vehicles. To find out more, visit our resource page on RV and Motorhome Registration.
If you're looking to tour the scenic beauty of the Maryland landscape with trailer in tow, you may have to register and title it before you can make way. MVA has various requirements for different kinds of trailers.
Office Trailers and Mobile Homes
If your office trailer or mobile home doesn't exceed 35 feet in length, you are exempt from Maryland registration laws.
However, you can title the trailer if you'd like. Currently, all you need to pay is the State Retail Sales Tax. You can pay this tax by visiting the State Office Building at 301 West Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
If you're handy enough to make your own trailer, you can register and title it with title application. You will have to provide two photos of the trailer from the side and from the rear. If MVA approves your application, you'll receive a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the trailer.
Boat, Camping, Tent, or Travel Trailers
These types of trailers are golden tickets to the wonderful world of camping. You must obtain a title for them by submitting an application with all required documents listed on the form.
Registration isn't necessary, but if you'd like to do so, you'll have to get your trailer safety inspected before MVA will process your request.
Freight and Semi-Freight Trailers
These hefty trailers may be bigger, but this doesn't make them exempt from titling requirements. In addition to submitting a title application, you'll have to provide proof that the trailer meets Motor Vehicle Liability insurance.
If you're not sure if your trailer meets minimum requirements, call a Maryland approved insurance company to double check.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks