Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements in MarylandCompare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
Liability insurance is necessary when you own a motorcycle to prove that you have the financial means to cover any accident you might be involved in. Without insurance, you’ll be driving illegally.
Ways to Establish Financial Responsibility
While other states offer the option of leaving a big sum of money with the state in lieu of insurance, Maryland does not. You must purchase liability insurance from a licensed insurance company or broker.
Two-Wheeled Vehicles Defined
The state does not require scooters or moped to be registered or insured; you must still possess the proper license to operate either.
- Scooters have no pedals and have an engine of 50 ccs or less and brake horsepower of 2.7 or less.
- A moped has pedals, a motor with 1.5 brake horsepower or less; and an engine of 50 ccs or less.
You may be able to get these insured as property instead. Consult an insurance agent for details.
On the other hand, you must register and insure a motorcycle, which is defined as:
- A two-wheeled or three-wheeled vehicle (not ATVs or tractors) with a 51 cc engine or bigger.
Liability insurance is required for all motorcycles in the minimum amounts of:
- Bodily injury: $30,000/person and $60,000/two people or more.
- Property damage: $15,000.
The state also requires:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $2,500 for medical expenses related to an accident for your passengers.
Before you commit to buying, you should research these types of coverage as well as other coverage that might be beneficial to add on.
How Coverage Affects Helmet Requirements
It’s illegal to ride a motorcycle in Maryland without wearing a DOT Certified helmet; carrying insurance does not negate that law as it does in some states. Additionally, you must have proper eye protection if your helmet does not have a visor.
The Motor Vehicle Administration has you file form FR-19, or proof of insurance, with them when you register the motorcycle.
- Get a FR-19 from the insurance company. A copy is okay. The insurance company can also fax it to the MVA.
- FR-19 states that for as long as you register the motorcycle, you will keep up the insurance.
If you let the insurance lapse, the insurance company will notify the MVA. Send the MVA a new FR-19 if you switch insurance companies; otherwise, they will get a notice from your old company that you dropped them and think that you have no insurance at all, which will leave you vulnerable to penalities.
Tickets are also a problem. If you have enough points, the MVA will send you a letter asking for a new FR-19, as you will have to have more expensive coverage.
With no proof of insurance filed comes penalties, including:
- $150 for the first 30 days of no insurance, and $7 per day afterward.
- Revocation of your registration and license plates, with a $25 reinstatement fee.
- A year in prison or $1,000 in fines if you give false proof of insurance.
- The inability to register another vehicle until you settle all the claims.
- Court costs and penalties.
In This SectionInsurance Resource Center
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims