Custom Built Car Registration in MarylandCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
Maryland is a great state to step into the garage and tackle custom projects. Unlike many states, these vehicles, whether a kit car, "two-stagers," or homemade trailers, are relatively easy to title and register in Maryland. Thus, you can get out on the road to show off your handiwork and have the comfort of knowing the vehicle is extremely hip and street legal.
Before you even get to this point you must take the vehicle to be inspected (separate from the safety inspection for registration). Call ahead for an appointment.
The following is a list of the main custom or homemade vehicles that you will need to title and register in the state of Maryland.
- Definition: A kit car looks like an old hot rod or a vehicle from the glamour days of the past on the outside but has an assortment of salvage parts making up the inside.
- What to bring:
- A document that shows that you own the vehicle frame. This could be a plethora of forms, depending on whether the frame is new from the manufacturer or used or was discovered lying unscathed in a junkyard. Thus, you can provide an invoice or manufacturer certificate of origin, or a salvage certificate.
- A completed Application for Certificate of Title.
- Sales receipts for every part used in the building of the vehicle.
- A safety inspection certificate. This is separate from the salvage inspection certificate that you had completed before you started the process. This certificate is required to register the vehicle.
- If the vehicle has not been assigned (if necessary) a vehicle identification number (VIN), then you will need to fill out an Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number. This form is at the MVA office and the number will be issued by a member of the state police.
Upon paying the necessary fees you will receive your registration card, plates, and tags. The title will be processed and sent out via mail when it is ready.
Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸