Paperwork When Buying a Car in Maryland
Get detailed VIN History Report in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start a Search:
The paperwork needed when you purchase a car is:
- The title, signed over to you by the previous owner.
- A bill of sale, which should be notarized if the car is seven years old or less.
If the title's missing, the current legal owner must apply for a duplicate. Do not buy a car unless the title can be located.
Once you have the title and bill of sale, you need to schedule a time to do the safety inspection. This inspection is required for car registration. You will also need to have verifiable insurance for the new vehicle.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.