Special Licenses in Massachusetts

Pass Your CDL Written Exam with
DMV Cheatsheets!

Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:

  • Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
  • Study When & Where You Want
  • 24/7 Online Access

Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed.

Vehicles Accommodating 16 or More Passengers

To operate a vehicle that accommodates 16 passengers or more ―including yourself―such as a bus or shuttle, you need a Class A, B, or C commercial driver's license (CDL).

See below for more information about CDLs:

School Buses: Licenses, Endorsements, and Certificates

There are two kinds of school buses you can drive―full-sized and restricted. To drive a:

  • Full-sized school bus, you need a CDL with endorsements P (Passenger) and S (School Bus), a School Bus Driver Certificate from the Department of Public Utilities (DPU).
  • Restricted school bus, you need a regular Class D driver's license with a restricted School Bus Driver Certificate from the DPU.

The RMV provides an informational school bus brochure as well as the Massachusetts School Bus Manual to guide you through the application process.

Vehicles Accommodating Fewer Than 16 Passengers

To operate a vehicle that accommodates fewer than 16 passengers, such as a taxi or limousine, you only need a regular Class D driver's license.

The company for which you're interested in working may require you to undergo special training; your municipality may have certain requirements in place, too.

Sports Vehicles


You must have a Class M motorcycle license or a motorcycle endorsement on your Class D license to legally operate a motorcycle in Massachusetts. In order to get either, you must be at least 16 years old.

Get specifics about motorcycle licenses in our Motorcycle License section.

Mopeds and Scooters

To operate a moped, you must be at least 16 years old and have a driver's license.

If your scooter is made for highway travel, it's considered a motorcycle and you will need a Class M license to operate it.

Visit Other Types for more details.

ATVs and Snowmobiles

There are no special licenses to operate all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles in Massachusetts; however, there are age requirements:

  • No child younger than 10 years old can operate a recreational vehicle.
  • Children who are at least 10 years old but younger than 16 years old can operate a recreational vehicle under the supervision of someone who is at least 18 years old.
  • Engine cannot be over 90cc for those under 16 years old.
  • An operator who is under 18 years old must have a Safety Certificate to operate an ATV, but does not need one to operate a snowmobile.

For more details check out the Massachusetts Recreation Vehicle Safety Laws.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Be a Hero
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 0

heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Special Licenses in Another State?