Replacing a Lost Registration in Massachusetts
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
You can request duplicate vehicle registrations three ways in Massachusetts―in person, by phone, or online.
Visit your local full-service Registry of Motor Vehicles to complete the necessary paperwork. The $25 fee is payable by cash, check, or money order. You'll receive the duplicate registration that day.
For an online transaction you'll need to provide your driver license number, license plate number, and the type of tag you currently have on your vehicle. The $25 fee is payable by MasterCard, Visa, or Discover.
Allow 10 working days to receive the duplicate registration by mail.
You may also request a replacement by telephone. The state has several different phone numbers you may call depending on your location.
- Call 857-368-8000 if you live in the 339, 617, 781, or 857 area codes or are out-of-state.
- Call (800-858-3926 if you live in the 351, 413, 508, 774, or 978 area codes. This number will not work from out-of-state.
- Call (877-768-8833 if you live in MA and are hearing impaired.
- Call (877) RMV-TTDD or 877-768-8833 if you live in MA and are hearing impaired.
Call weekdays 9 a.m.-5 p.m., except on holidays. Be sure to have your credit card and license plate number when you call. The fee is $25. You should receive the duplicate registration in 10 business days.
Replacing Lost Tags
If you've lost your vehicle tags, you can only get replacements in person at your local RMV or by phone. If you've only lost one tag, you'll be given a temporary permit to keep in the car until the replacement tag arrives. If you've lost both plates, you'll have to apply for a new set with new numbers.
You cannot apply for green plates with the same number. If your single green plate is lost or stolen, you'll be given the a set of the new red and white plates as replacements; place one plate on the front of your vehicle and the other on the rear.
You can also request replacement tags by phone. Call 857-368-8000 or (800) 858-3926.
The replacement fee for each tag is $10.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback