License Plates & Placards in Massachusetts
Register your car in person in to apply for your MA license plates. You can renew your tags online, by phone, by mail, or in person. In many cases, you can transfer your license plates from one vehicle to another. If your plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must order replacement tags.
Keep reading for helpful information about license plates and decals in Massachusetts.
Need disabled parking? Our Disability Plates and Placards page has complete information.
Types of Massachusetts License Plates
All MA motor vehicles must have license plates issued by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV).
Most vehicles must display 2 license plates; one the back and another on the front of the vehicle. Vehicles such as motorcycles and trailers only need a rear plate.
Your license plate must have a decal showing when it expires.
The decals cannot block the license plate number.
License Plate Designs
The standard MA license plate is white and has “Massachusetts" at the top and “The Spirit of America" at the bottom.
The MA RMV also issues specialty plates, including personalized plates, usually for an additional fee. For more information about the various plates available, see our Types of Specialty Plates page. For application details, see Applying for Specialty Plates in Massachusetts.
If you are eligible for disabled parking, you can apply for a disability license plate. Our Disability Plates and Placards page has complete details.
Apply for License Plates
You can apply for Massachusetts license plates by registering your vehicle with the MA RMV.
If you are new to MA, you must register your vehicle within 30 days.
The MA RMV will require certain documentation to register your car, including proof of car insurance.
For more information, see our Vehicle Registration page.
Renew Your MA License Plates
You can renew your plates by renewing your vehicle registration:
- By phone.
- By mail.
- In person.
You should get a renewal reminder in the mail before you registration expires.
After renewing, you'll get a new sticker to put over the old expiration sticker on your license plate.
See our Registration Renewals in Massachusetts page for complete details.
Replace Damaged & Missing Tags
If you've lost, stolen, or damaged your license plates, order a replacement:
- In person at a MA RMV branch office.
- By phone at (800) 858-3926.
You must apply in person AND complete the Affidavit for Cancellation of Registration (Form T20028) if:
- You don't have any plates left in your possession.
- You've reported stolen plates to the police.
You DO NOT have to file a police report, but doing so can be helpful if your lost plates are misused.
The fee for replacement plates is $10 per plate.
In addition to the fee and affidavit (if required), it may be helpful for you to have:
- Your vehicle registration card or plate number.
- A form of ID, such as your MA driver's license.
If your decal is lost, stolen, or damaged, contact the Massachusetts RMV at (800) 858-3926 for replacement information.
Transfer or Surrender Vehicle Tags
The Massachusetts RMV allows you to transfer plates from your old car to your new car as long as:
- The vehicle will be registered in your name.
- You transfer the tag by registering the vehicle within 7 days.
The transfer fee is $25, plus any other relevant fees and taxes.
You must surrender your plates to the MA RMV if you move to another state. To surrender your plates you can:
- Cancel your registration and surrender your plates in person at a Massachusetts RMV office.*
- Use the online registration cancellation service and destroy or recycle your plates.
If there is more than one owner of the vehicle, or if you are canceling the registration on behalf of the vehicle owner, you will need a completed Affidavit of Cancellation of Registration (Form T20028) plus identification.
*NOTE: When canceling in person, you are NOT required to return your license plates to the RMV.
You may be eligible for a vehicle registration refund from the Massachusetts RMV under the following conditions:
- If your registration is canceled within 10 days of its effective date, you may receive the full amount.
- If you cancel before the 1st day of the 7th month of your registration, you may receive half of the amount in excess of $15.
- EXAMPLE: If your fee was initially $75, the amount remaining AFTER $15 is $60; therefore, your refund would be $32.50.
To apply for a refund, complete the Rebate/Refund Application (Form T20045) and mail it to the address listed on the form.
Fees for Massachusetts License Plates
The fees below DO NOT include taxes, title fees, or other fees you may be responsible for when you register your vehicle.
- New standard plates and renewal:
- Passenger vehicle: $60.
- Motorcycle: $20.
- Replacement license plates: $10 per plate.
- Transfer fee: $25.