RMV Driver Handbook in Massachusetts
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) provides various manuals for drivers, including the MA driver's manual, commercial driver's manual, and the motorcycle handbook. The Massachusetts Vehicle Code is also available online, if you're interested in reading about traffic laws in the state.
Continue reading this page to find links to all the publications and resources you need to get on the road in Massachusetts.
- Applying for a Massachusetts driver's license.
- Traffic signs and safety.
- Rules of the road.
- Street signs in Massachusetts
- Vehicle registration and titling.
- Driver's license suspensions.
You can also get a printed copy of the driving manual at any MA RMV office.
In addition to studying the driver manual, a great way to prepare for the written test is to obtain an online practice test from our approved partner.
You can access the MA Motorcycle Manual on the Massachusetts RMV website to learn all about operating a motorcycle. The driver's handbook outlines the following topics:
- Rules of the road.
- Getting a MA motorcycle license.
- Traffic signals and signs.
- Night riding.
- Motorcycle registration.
- Scooters and mopeds.
To get ready for the knowledge test, you can take an online motorcycle practice test.
Read our Motorcycle License page when you're ready to apply.
When you go to apply for commercial driver's license (CDL) in Massachusetts, the RMV will test your knowledge of information found in the driving manual. Subjects found in the commercial driver handbook include:
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) requirements and fees.
- Driving a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) safely.
- Combination vehicles.
- Pre-trip vehicle inspection test.
- On-road skills test for each type of applicant.
- Transporting cargo and passengers.
- Hazardous materials.
- Air brakes.
To better prepare for the CDL knowledge exam, you can take a practice test.
While the Massachusetts RMV driver handbook is loaded with important information, it does not cover every single traffic law in great detail.
Browse the Massachusetts Vehicle Code for laws about vehicle titling and registration, driving on public roads.
If you've received a traffic ticket in MA, visit our Traffic Tickets page to learn how to pay or fight the charge.