- Location: Massachusetts
Driver Handbook in MassachusettsCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Anyone applying for a driver's license―or just looking to have a handy resource―can take advantage of the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles Driver's Manual. The manual has details on all of the following subjects. Each subject is linked below to the PDF download for that chapter. You will need the free Adobe Reader to download and read PDF files.
Conveniently, you can download each of the manual's six chapters separately:
- Obtaining Your Massachusetts License: Who needs a Massachusetts license? Who is eligible for a Massachusetts license? Also includes: how to apply for a permit and license; age, vision, and residency policies; acceptable forms of ID required by the RMV.
- Keeping Your Massachusetts License: Details on traffic tickets, suspensions, rules of the road and OUI.
- Safety First: safety belt and child restraint laws, defensive driving, vehicle safety, health and physical safety, braking and stopping, winter driving.
- Rules of the Road: speed limits, traffic signals, pedestrians, stop signs, construction warnings, railroad crossings, pavement markings, signaling, highway driving, intersections.
- Special Driving Situations: health and physical condition, emergency vehicles, being stopped by police, driving emergencies, breakdowns, traffic accidents.
- Owning a Vehicle: registration laws, titling, inspections, insurance, salvage.
You can also obtain printed copies of the Massachusetts Driver's Manual at any RMV office.Other Topics in This Section