Changing Your Address in Massachusetts
Changing your address?
Perfect time to compare car insurance rates.
1. Start Your Quote:
Moved recently within Massachusetts? The law says you must notify the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) of your address change within 30 days of the move. The easiest way to process the change of address is online, but it can also be done by phone, by mail, or in person.
Massachusetts lets any non-commercial license holder change his or her address using an online form anytime at no cost. The form asks for basic information, like the old and new addresses, but does not require a credit card.
Once you complete the form, you should receive an email within 48 hours confirming that the address change has been processed. If you complete the form, but do not receive the email, you should contact the Massachusetts RMV telephone center. You will not get a new license this way, and will have to use a change-of-address label to change the address on your current license.
If you can't―or don't want to―use the online form to change your address, the RMV has various options for you:
- By phone: If you have a new digital photo license, you can phone in your change at 857-368-8000..
- By mail: You'll want to download the change of address form and complete it. Then mail the form to the following address:
- RMV Address Change
- P.O. Box 55889
- Boston, MA 02205-5889
Please include your name, date of birth, license number, any plates registered in your name, and your old and new addresses.
- In person: You'll want to download the change of address form and complete it. Then bring it into any Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles office. You can also get a form there.
}Amended License To update your address on your license, you MUST do this in person. Cost: $25.
If you're changing your name, you need to notify the RMV in person at any RMV office. You will need to obtain a new license with a photo and your signature. You do not need any documentation to make this change, as long as there is no attempt to defraud the RMV.
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- DMV New Resident Checklist
- Forms and Publications for New Residents
- Moving and Need to Change Your Address? Use This Address Change Checklist!
- Change of Address on Vehicle Registration and Titles
- Learn How to Change Your Address on Your Drivers License
- How to Notify the DMV of Your Address Change
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.