- Location: Massachusetts
Paperwork When Selling a Car in MassachusettsCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
You must provide the buyer with:
- An assigned title. It must include an odometer reading, the buyer's printed name and signature, your printed name and signature, date of sale and the purchase price.
- If there's no room on the title to include price, you'll need to complete a bill of sale with the following information: your name, address and signature; the buyer's name, address and signature; purchase price; date of sale; and the vehicle's make, model, year and identification number.
After the sale has been completed, remove the license plates from the vehicle.
You must surrender the vehicle's license plates to any Registry of Motor Vehicles(RMV) office. Be sure to receive a plate receipt. Take it, along with information on the whereabouts of your sold vehicle, to your local Assessor's Office for possible excise tax adjustments that may be due.
Or, if you prefer, mail the plates to:
- Attn: Express
Registry of Motor Vehicles
- P.O. Box 55889
- Boston, MA 02205-5889
A receipt will be mailed to your address on record.
You must provide a bill of sale if the title does not include the vehicle's purchase price. You can download a copy from our Bill of Sale page.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard