- Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle Code in MassachusettsCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
Most of the time, probably not a whole lot. Like any unabridged state laws, the Massachusetts motor vehicle laws can be confusing and difficult to read, if you are not an attorney. But if you ever need them, you're going to be happy they are so easy to find.
When might you need access to Massachusetts motor vehicle and traffic laws? If you've been accused of a motor vehicle violation and you want to see if there are grounds to dispute it, you can search for applicable laws.
Remember, with the state surchargeable points system, there are going to be hundreds, even thousands of dollars at stake for conviction on even a violation as minor as speeding or running a stop sign.
Also, the laws could be handy if you're curious about what your insurance company must do for you in the event of an accident.
Here's the full chapter:
- Chapter 90: All of Massachusetts motor vehicle and traffic laws.
And here they are broken up by subject:
- Drinking and Driving Violations (90 MGL section 24)
- Driving Without a License (90 MGL section 10)
- Driving Without Insurance/With Insufficient Insurance (90 MGL section 34J)
- Driving Without Registration/With Expired Registration (90 MGL section 9)
- Obeying Signs and Signals (89 MGL section 9)
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident/Hit and Run (90 MGL section 26)
- Mechanical Violations (90 MGL section 9)
- Reckless Driving (90 MGL section 24)
- Seat Belt and Child Restraint Violations (90 MGL section 13A)
- Speeding (90 MGL section 17)
- Mass Turnpike (90 MGL section 17A)
- Unlawful Vehicle Modifications (90 MGL section 9)
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver’s license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver’s license is currently valid. Should your license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what’s on record at the RMV. This report will also show points against your license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.Other Topics in This Section