DMV Appointments in MassachusettsPage Overview
Massachusetts offers an online scheduling system to book your road tests. Before you visit a branch office save yourself some time by booking an appointment first. Please read the sections below for more details.
For all other driver and vehicle related services at the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) you must wait in line. Keep in mind not all tasks require an in-person visit to a branch office; find out which online services you can take care of from your own computer.
Services Covered by the MA RMV Online Scheduling System
- Book a Class D Road Test
- Book a Class M Road Test
- Booking a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Road Test
You can also schedule any of these road tests (Class D, Class M or CDL) by calling the MA RMV Telephone Center Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the exception of holidays at:
- (857) 368-8000 from MA area codes 339/ 617/ 781/ 857 OR from outside of MA
- (800) 858-3926 from all other MA area codes not listed above
For hearing impaired customers call (877) 768-8833
If you must pay a visit to your MA RMV, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you time standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
Other Topics in This Section
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday