- Location: Massachusetts
Accident Guide in MassachusettsCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
If you are involved in a wreck which caused injury, death, or over $1,000 worth of damage, Massachusetts requires that you file a Motor Vehicle Crash Operator Report within five days of the accident―even if law enforcement was at the scene.
Submit copies to your local law enforcement, your insurance agent, and to the Registry of Motor Vehicles at the following address:
- Crash Records
- Registry of Motor Vehicles
- P.O. Box 55889
- Boston, MA 02205-5889
Most of us don't carry the accident form with us, so while you're still at the accident, be sure to get as much information as you can.
Exchange the following information with all parties involved:
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers (including witnesses)
- Driver license numbers
- License plate numbers
- Vehicle descriptions
- Insurance information
It's also a good idea to write down the road and weather conditions as they are at the time of the accident.
Some vehicle accidents are more serious than others, so the level of first aid you render will vary, too. Chapter 5 of the Massachusetts Driver's Handbook offers great tips on how to handle first aid emergencies.
Note that you must never leave the scene of an accident until you, the other party, and law enforcement handle the required procedures. Leaving the scene is against the law and carries a "hit and run" charge.Articles
- 5 Important Steps If You Lost Your Drivers License
- I-94 Forms and Arriving in the U.S.
- What to do if the Colorado Floods Damaged Your Car
- 9 Urgent Must-Dos If You Lose Your Driver’s License
- 7 Reasons Student Drivers Fail Their Written Permit Exam
- Werner Herzog’s Texting-and-Driving Documentary Slated to Hit Hard
Instant Driving Record
Check for tickets, violations, and confirm your drivers license status with a instant self-check driving record.