Voter Registration in Louisiana
Voting is a right and a responsibility that should be exercised by all registered Louisiana voters.
In Louisiana, you can register to vote at your Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).
Before you head out to register, make sure you are eligible to vote in Louisiana. Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- You must be a United States citizen.
- You must not vote outside of Louisiana.
- You must not be deemed "mentally incompetent" by the court.
- You must not have been convicted of a felony. If you have been, you must have your civil rights reinstated in order to vote.
- You must be at least 18 in time for the next general election. However, you can vote in the May primary election as long as you will be 18 at the time of the November general election.
Louisiana explains the registration requirements on the Registration and Procedures Web page.
If you choose to register with the OMV, you can do so only during the following driver's license and identification card processes:
You'll need the same identification documents as required by all OMV services.
If you wish to register to vote but aren't in need of any of these OMV services, you may do so at your local Registrar of Voters Office. Please refer to the Louisiana Secretary of State Elections Division.
Although voters have many rights, as a registered voter you may not do the following:
- Vote under a fake name
- Vote more than once during a single election
- Vote using another person's identity
- Influence the decisions of other voters using rewards, bribes, threats, or any other kind of force
Doing, or attempting to do, any of these are against federal law.
If you feel you have been the victim of voter fraud, or that your rights as a voter have been violated, visit Louisiana's Elections Compliance Unit (ECU) Web page or call the ECU at (800) 722-5305 or (225) 342-4479.
If you have any further voter-related questions, please write to:
- Louisiana Secretary of State
- Elections Division
- P.O. Box 94125
- Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.