Voter Registration in Louisiana
Voter Registration in Louisiana
Voting is one of your most powerful civil rights, because it lets you have a say in how your government is run. But in order to have that say, you’ll need to register to vote.
You’re eligible to vote in Louisiana if:
- You’re a U.S. citizen.
- You’re a Louisiana citizen and reside in the parish in which you want to vote.
- You’re at least 17 years old, and will be 18 years old in time for the election.
- You haven’t been deemed mentally incompetent or otherwise had your voting rights suspended under judgment.
- You’re not currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.
You can register to vote online, by mail, and in person.
You can register to vote online using the state’s Online Voter Registration (OVR) system.
Regardless of how you register, you must show some proof of identification; registering to vote online is no different. When you register online, you must provide:
- Your driver’s license number or special identification card number.
- Your 4-digit audit code. *
- This code is on your driver’s license or your special identification card and it’s labeled “AUDIT.”
- The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
* If you don’t have a driver’s license or ID card (and therefore don’t have an audit number,), you can continue the application online, print it, and mail it to your Registrar of Voters (see "By Mail" below).
Register to vote by mail by completing the Louisiana Voter Registration Application (Form 100) and mailing it to the applicable address listed on the form.
You must include the last 4 digits of your Social Security number if you don’t have a driver’s license or ID card.
If you register in person, you can download and complete the Louisiana Voter Registration Application (Form 100) in advance or pick one up at any of the following voter registration sites:
- The Registrar of Voters office.
- Your local Office of Motor Vehicles.
- The Department of Social Services.
- Offices serving WIC, food stamps, or Medicaid clients.
- Any office serving people with disabilities, including Independent Living offices.
- Military recruitment offices.
If you register at a Registrar of Voters office, you must bring proof of age, residency, and identity. This proof can include your driver’s license, birth certificate, or any other document that proves your age, residency, and identity.
Without photo identification, you can bring a document with your name and address such as a current utility bill or paycheck.
Out-of-state, overseas, and military members retaining their LA residence can register to vote via mail or online. However, there is another option for military and overseas residents (see below).
Read our “Register to Vote in Louisiana” above to learn how to register.
Military & Overseas Voters
There is an additional option for overseas and military Louisiana residents other than registering by mail or online.
You can use the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s (FVAP) online assistant to fill out the Federal Post Card Application (Form 76).
The FPCA serves as both registration and a request for an absentee ballot.
You must be registered to vote 30 days prior to Election Day. This deadline applies to military and overseas residents.
You must update your name and/or address* with the Registrar of Voters. Contact your local office for details.
For name changes, be prepared to show court documents.
If you fail to update your address, you could be given an “inactive voter status”; however, you will have the chance to correct this using any of the voter registration methods described above OR at the precinct on Election Day. Just remember to bring proof of your new address.
* If you’ve moved outside of your parish, you must re-register with your new parish.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.