Smog & Emission Checks in Louisiana
Louisiana doesn't currently conduct emission checks the way other states do. Louisiana vehicle inspections focus more on the mechanical parts of your vehicle; however, certain vehicle emission parts will be checked, too.
The exception is for cars that are registered in Baton Rouge. There, vehicles are required to be given On-Board Diagnostics (OBD ll) testing, as well.
Online you can find a detailed outline of what to expect during your next vehicle inspection. And, if you'd like more information about specific Louisiana inspection laws, check out the Motor Vehicle Inspection Law section of the Louisiana State Police website.
Follow these five steps to make sure your vehicle is helping to cut down on pollution:
- Get under the hood. Your engine should be clean and running properly. Also, make sure wires and hoses are correctly connected.
- Don't ignore your "check engine" light. This really could be a sign that your engine isn't running properly, which may lead to pollution.
- Look at your gas cap. Your gas cap should fit properly and have no cracks or other defects. If you find a problem, head to your local auto parts store to purchase a new cap.
- Pay attention to what's coming out of your exhaust pipe.
- Don't ignore the little things. Your vehicle's spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor must be in working order.
Have a mechanic take a look at your vehicle if you suspect any problems.
By making sure that your vehicle is running properly, you are not only helping to reduce pollution, but you are also saving yourself some money. Your vehicle's engine will burn fuel more efficiently if maintained, and making the most of fuel will help you save money on skyrocketing gas prices.
For more information about vehicle pollution, check out the Environmental Protection Agency's section on Clean Cars and Clean Air.Local Smog Check Stations
Choose a County
- De Soto
- East Baton Rouge
- East Carroll
- East Feliciana
- Jefferson Davis
- La Salle
- Pointe Coupee
- Red River
- Saint Bernard
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.