Replacing a Lost Registration in LouisianaCompare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:Page Overview
Your vehicle's registration card, registration stickers, and license plates prove that your vehicle is legally allowed to be driven on Louisiana roads. Fortunately, it's a fairly simple process to request replacements from the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) if necessary.
For your convenience, the OMV offers drivers three different ways to obtain a duplicate registration card:
- Visit the OMV website and complete the online duplicate registration request form.
- Go to your local OMV.
- Mail a written request with your name, address, license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), proof of insurance, and vehicle make and model to:
- Office of Motor Vehicles
- P.O. Box 64886
- Baton Rouge, LA 70896
The standard fee for requesting a duplicate registration card is $12.00, although some locations may require an additional service charge. Acceptable payment methods include:
- Cash (if paying at an OMV office)
- Check (if it includes your driver's license number)
- Money order
- Cashier's check
If you need to request replacement license plates, or tags, for your vehicle, you can do this by visiting your local OMV with a copy of your current registration certificate. You will then be asked to complete a short form before receiving your new plates.
The standard charge for lost license plates is $10.00 plus an $8.00 handling fee. However, if you renewed your registration by mail and did not receive your registration stickers or new plates within 60 days, you may request a replacement free of charge.
If you have reason to believe that your registration stickers or license plates were stolen rather than simply lost, the OMV encourages you to file a report with local law enforcement officials after receiving your replacements.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸