Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Replacing a Lost Title in Louisiana

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    LA Replacing a Lost Title

    Since your title is proof that you are the legal owner of your vehicle, you should always store the document in a safe place. However, if you ever lose or damage your title, you can request a duplicate from the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).

    The following parties are allowed to request a duplicate title:

    • The last registered owner of the vehicle.
    • A person granted power of attorney for the last registered owner.
    • A curator for the last registered owner if he or she is determined to be interdicted and thus incapable of handling the transaction.
    • A bankruptcy trustee.
    • The recorded lienholder for the vehicle.
    • A representative for a corporation that has a legitimate interest in the vehicle.

    To request a duplicate title, bring a completed Vehicle Application to your nearest OMV office. If you wish, you may change the following fields on your new title:

    • Customer address
    • Driver's license number
    • Employer identification number (EIN)
    • Secondary address
    • Lienholder status

    If there is an open lien on the vehicle, a notarized Affidavit of Non-Possession of Title by Lienholder must be completed by the lienholder. In this case, the duplicate title will be mailed to the lienholder after processing.

    The OMV charges $18.50 to issue a duplicate title, plus an additional $8.00 handling fee.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctors first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More about Organ Donation ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸