Replacing a Lost Title in Louisiana
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Since your title is proof that you are the legal owner of your vehicle, you should always store the document in a safe place. However, if you ever lose or damage your title, you can request a duplicate from the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).
The following parties are allowed to request a duplicate title:
- The last registered owner of the vehicle.
- A person granted power of attorney for the last registered owner.
- A curator for the last registered owner if he or she is determined to be interdicted and thus incapable of handling the transaction.
- A bankruptcy trustee.
- The recorded lienholder for the vehicle.
- A representative for a corporation that has a legitimate interest in the vehicle.
- Customer address
- Driver's license number
- Employer identification number (EIN)
- Secondary address
- Lienholder status
If there is an open lien on the vehicle, a notarized Affidavit of Non-Possession of Title by Lienholder must be completed by the lienholder. In this case, the duplicate title will be mailed to the lienholder after processing.
The OMV charges $18.50 to issue a duplicate title, plus an additional $8.00 handling fee.
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.