Moving Out of State in Louisiana
Louisiana does not offer vehicle registration refunds.
To properly cancel your registration, the DMV does ask that you return your license plates after relocating to another state. You can either return them by mail or drop them off in person at a DMV office.
Questions? Call (225) 925-6146.
Things to Do Before You Move
- Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
- Notify your leasing company if your vehicle is leased.
After You Move
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
- Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
- If you're a prospective new driver, you will need to check if your permit is honored in your new state.
- If you completed a driver education course in your old state, you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.
- Learn if your new state requires vehicle inspections.
- Check out our New to Your State? article.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.