Personal Injury Attorneys in Louisiana
When you get injured in an auto accident, it can be difficult and confusing to know how to get fully compensated for your injuries. While you have certain responsibilities as a driver, you don't have to do everything alone. Hiring a personal injury attorney helps you handle your case while you focus on getting better. Once you've decided to get legal assistance, follow our tips for hiring a personal injury lawyer.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
The term "personal injury" refers to physical or psychological injuries that occur as a result of the actions of another person. These injuries can be accidental or intentional. Motor vehicle-related personal injuries can involve automobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, boats, or commercial motor vehicles.
Not only are drivers and passengers victims of personal injuries, but pedestrians can be harmed, as well.
Personal injuries can devastate your life, as well as the lives of your family members, friends, and other loved ones. However, there is good news―you may be entitled to compensation.
If you decide to seek legal help from a personal injury attorney, it's recommended that you do so as soon as possible. In fact, it can be a good idea to seek legal assistance before attempting to handle the insurance companies yourself. An experienced personal injury attorney knows how to handle insurance companies and can effectively represent your rights.
Statute of Limitations
It's important to understand that you have a very limited period of time in Louisiana to file a personal injury lawsuit. The statute of limitations is 1 year from the accident date. After the 1 year is up, you may find it impossible to file your lawsuit.
It's important to hire your personal injury lawyer well before this time window ends.
Whether you're a pedestrian, driver, or passenger, there are ways you can protect yourself and others. Consider the following tips:
- Make sure you have adequate car insurance.
- Be sure you are covered by uninsured and underinsured motorist protection.
- Uninsured motorist coverage protects you if the other party involved in the accident doesn't have any insurance at all.
- Underinsured motorist coverage protects you if the other party involved in the accident doesn't have enough insurance to adequately compensate you for your injuries and damages.
- Notify your auto insurance company of any accidents in a timely manner.
- Notify the Louisiana State Police, as they are responsible for investigating all accidents resulting in personal injury.
How to Handle an Accident
Chapter Seven of the Louisiana Class D & E Drivers Guide thoroughly outlines your responsibilities in the event of an accident.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident.
- Make sure oncoming traffic is notified, and all ignitions are turned off.
- Render any first aid in which you have been trained.
- Call the police and an ambulance.
- Record the names, addresses, and license numbers of all parties involved, including any witnesses.
- Jot down all pertinent information.
- For example, you'll need to know the date and time of the accident, your location, the position of involved vehicles, and current weather conditions.
- Obtain a request for a crash report form from the trooper who investigates the accident. If he or she fails to provide the form, you may obtain one online or pick one up with your local Troop.
- Contact a LA personal injury attorney.
When you decide to seek the help of a personal injury lawyer in Louisiana, make sure you do some research ahead of time. To ensure you make a good choice:
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family.
- Request consultations from several attorneys.
- Ask about the following:
- Cases won.
- Area of expertise.
Make sure to ask your questions BEFORE you make the decision to hire a specific personal injury attorney. You may be in a rush to get assistance but it aways pays off to do your due diligence prior to making a final decision.