Motorcycle Registration in Louisiana
Compare Motorcycle Insurance Rates in 3 EASY STEPS
Enter Your Zip Code:
In Louisiana, the registration process for your motorcycle is similar to the registration process for your car. You can register and title your motorcycle for the first time at the dealership from which you purchased your motorcycle or at your local Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).
When you purchase your motorcycle from a dealership, the dealer will handle all paperwork for you. He or she will accept payment for all applicable fees.
When you purchase your motorcycle from an individual, or you just to handle the registering and titling yourself, you'll need to download and complete the Vehicle Application.
Include the following documents with your application, if applicable:
- Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) signed to you before a notary public
- Itemized invoice given to you by the dealer
- Completed Odometer Disclosure Statement
- Security agreement or financing statement
Remember, you must show proof of insurance to register any vehicle in Louisiana.
You'll need to submit the appropriate fees with your completed application. Acceptable forms of payment include a money order, cashier's check, personal check with your driver's license number, or cash if you're applying in person. Fees are as follows:
- $18.50 title fee
- $8.00 handling fee, which varies by location
- $15.00 fee to record liens using UCC-1 financing statements; $10 for all others
- $12 license plate fee
- Sales and usage tax based on the selling price and location and domicile code
You can submit everything to your local OMV location or mail it to:
- Office of Motor Vehicles
- P.O. Box 64886
- Baton Rouge, LA 70896
New residents should refer to our New to Louisiana section for titling and registration information.
You'll renew your motorcycle registration the same way you renew the registration of any other motor vehicle.
Visit our FAQ section for more information on registration suspension and reinstatement.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Bicycling While Boozing
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.